Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Setting longer selection time when booting up with multiple os

Setting longer selection time when booting up with multiple os

EW105

At boot up, I only have 2 seconds or so to choose the os. I didn't find
anything in the set up that will allow me to set it for a longer amount
of time...
Thanks if you can help

why?

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:28:59 -0500, EW105 wrote:

>At boot up, I only have 2 seconds or so to choose the os. I didn't find
>anything in the set up that will allow me to set it for a longer amount
>of time...
>Thanks if you can help

It may help to mention if it's a Windows boot menu, a Boot Manager or
maybe Grub or LILO?

www.google.com will help with all of those.

Me

cluedweasel

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:28:59 -0500, EW105 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At boot up, I only have 2 seconds or so to choose the os. I didn't find
>anything in the set up that will allow me to set it for a longer amount
>of time...
>Thanks if you can help

It would help to know what Operating Systems you are talking about or
what bootloader you're using. In XP you could try right clicking on
the My Computer icon, select Properties and then click on the Advanced
icon. Then click on the settings button under the Startup and Recovery
heading and adjust things there. However if you're using Lilo, Grub or
some other boot loader, this won't help much.

FML

EW105 spewed forth...

> At boot up, I only have 2 seconds or so to choose the os. I didn't find
> anything in the set up that will allow me to set it for a longer amount
> of time...
> Thanks if you can help

If Windows, there is a file in the root directory called boot.ini (you may
have to enable "Show hidden files and folders" to see it). Edit this file,
there should be a line in the [boot loader] section containing timeout=nn
(where nn is the time of the delay in seconds). Change this line to the
number of seconds desired, save it, and reboot.

You should be good to go.
HTH

Plato

EW105 wrote:

> At boot up, I only have 2 seconds or so to choose the os. I didn't find
> anything in the set up that will allow me to set it for a longer amount
> of time...

Depends on what, if any, boot manager you are using.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

fares jajeh fares jajeh is offline
Junior Member

Hello,
i have a windows 7 OS and i have recently installed linux as a secondary OS, however the boot was a bit tricky, i got only three seconds to choose whether to use redhat or windows, and they are on different menus, there is this menu that has two options: redhat and other, if i click the other it forwards me to windows 7, the main menu of redhat and 7, it gives me only 3 sec to choose or it boot up linux and that ****es me off because i usually just startup my computer and just do other things ... when i come back i find linux. if anyone can help it would be great and thanks anyways .
regards,