Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dell inspiron 6000 notebook

dell inspiron 6000 notebook

Ray

a friend of mine asked me what i thought abot this cos he's thinking
of buying one. i have no idea. has anyone had experienceof this ?
recommend or not? the main use will be to run photoshop, do a little
video/dvd editing and usual surfing/ email /letters etc..

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Processor
IntelŪ CentrinoT Mobile Technology with IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor
740 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) & IntelŪ Pro/Wireless 2200
(802.11b/g)
Memory
512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM
40gig hd
Graphic Card
IntelŪ GMA 900 shared graphics memory up to 128MB
Optical Drive
Integrated 8x DVD-ROM/24x CDRW Combo Drive

thanks in advance

~ray

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Ray wrote:
> a friend of mine asked me what i thought abot this cos he's thinking
> of buying one. i have no idea. has anyone had experienceof this ?
> recommend or not? the main use will be to run photoshop, do a little
> video/dvd editing and usual surfing/ email /letters etc..
>
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
>
> Processor
> IntelŪ CentrinoT Mobile Technology with IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor
> 740 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) & IntelŪ Pro/Wireless 2200
> (802.11b/g)
> Memory
> 512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM
> 40gig hd
> Graphic Card
> IntelŪ GMA 900 shared graphics memory up to 128MB
> Optical Drive
> Integrated 8x DVD-ROM/24x CDRW Combo Drive

It'd be great for surfing, email, letters etc. For Photoshop and video
and DVD editing your friend would be far better off with a desktop
computer with better specs. The 512MB RAM is okay but 1GB would be
better. The 40GB hard drive will seem extremely claustrophobic doing
editing of videos of much size. And the DVD drive in the specs doesn't
burn DVD's, it just plays them.

Ray

I put the question to a news group and so far this is one reply:
(ps. ray is my usenet 'name')

jeremy.xx

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:03:26 -0500, Rôgęr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray wrote:
>> a friend of mine asked me what i thought abot this cos he's thinking
>> of buying one. i have no idea. has anyone had experienceof this ?
>> recommend or not? the main use will be to run photoshop, do a little
>> video/dvd editing and usual surfing/ email /letters etc..
>>
>> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>> Processor
>> IntelŪ CentrinoT Mobile Technology with IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor
>> 740 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) & IntelŪ Pro/Wireless 2200
>> (802.11b/g)
>> Memory
>> 512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM
>> 40gig hd
>> Graphic Card
>> IntelŪ GMA 900 shared graphics memory up to 128MB
>> Optical Drive
>> Integrated 8x DVD-ROM/24x CDRW Combo Drive

It'd be great for surfing, email, letters etc. For Photoshop and video
and DVD editing your friend would be far better off with a desktop
computer with better specs. The 512MB RAM is okay but 1GB would be
better. The 40GB hard drive will seem extremely claustrophobic doing
editing of videos of much size. And the DVD drive in the specs doesn't
burn DVD's, it just plays them.

~ray

Plato

Ray wrote:

> a friend of mine asked me what i thought abot this cos he's thinking
> of buying one. i have no idea. has anyone had experienceof this ?
> recommend or not? the main use will be to run photoshop, do a little
> video/dvd editing and usual surfing/ email /letters etc..

One important thing with laptops the the number of years the screen is
warranteed for. As if the screen goes bad it's NOT worth the money to
have it replaced out of warranty.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ray

thanks for the feedback.
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:54:37 +0100, Ray <d@x> wrote:

>a friend of mine asked me what i thought abot this cos he's thinking
>of buying one. i have no idea. has anyone had experienceof this ?
>recommend or not? the main use will be to run photoshop, do a little
>video/dvd editing and usual surfing/ email /letters etc..
>
>http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
>
>Processor
>IntelŪ CentrinoT Mobile Technology with IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor
>740 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) & IntelŪ Pro/Wireless 2200
>(802.11b/g)
>Memory
>512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM
>40gig hd
>Graphic Card
>IntelŪ GMA 900 shared graphics memory up to 128MB
>Optical Drive
>Integrated 8x DVD-ROM/24x CDRW Combo Drive
>
>thanks in advance
>
>~ray

~ray