Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HD partition

HD partition

Mike

Op sys is Win XP
HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
partitions and their content?
Thanks.

Gordon

Mike wrote:
> Op sys is Win XP
> HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
> Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
> partitions and their content?
> Thanks.

No, you can format one at a time. C has the operating system on it, so
you cannot format it from within windows. You will need to boot up using
the XP CD to do this.

°Mike°

The C drive is your boot drive, so you will need to
boot from the XP CD to format it. The other partitions
will not be affected.

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike took 6 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Mike wrote:
> Op sys is Win XP
> HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
> Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
> partitions and their content?
> Thanks.

If you remove all the furniture from one room, do you remove all the
furniture from every other room?

Trev

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:58:52 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>> Op sys is Win XP
>> HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
>> Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
>> partitions and their content?
>> Thanks.

>If you remove all the furniture from one room, do you remove all the
>furniture from every other room?

If I'm moving house?...Yes
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)

Smiley

Yes with caution

make sure all your data is on other drives
copy C:\windows\system\formate.exe to a floppy
reboot into dos and run from floppy
reinstall XP and programs

HOPE YOU DO NOT LOOSE ANYTHING

double check you programs and data

--
Please note: To avoid Spam, all email to my Hotmail address is automatically trashed.

Plato

Mike wrote:

> Op sys is Win XP
> HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
> Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
> partitions and their content?

One can format a single drive or partition at a time. It wont fuss with
the other drives or partitions.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

DRoCkA

yes you can format just one partition, but if you are formatting
your C:\ (system drive) you should do it thru the windows xp
installation disk. The process will allow you to keep your current
partitions in tact.

Note: if you apps are on your D:\ or E:\ or F:\, in other words you
don't have your applications installed on your C:\ drive but
installed them on another partition DO NOT expect them to work
after formatting the C:\ drive.

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet