Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot open properties for My Computer

Cannot open properties for My Computer

Tiny Tim

My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I am
unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable System
Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I can
get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.

Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?

Thanks,
Tim.

Mr Floppy

Make up your ****ing mind, and then get back to us, you ****-bubble.

--
You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know.
Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Tiny Tim wrote:
> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
> can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
> machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I am
> unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable System
> Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I can
> get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
> drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
> nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
>
> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.

So it *isn't* behaving itself in all respects then!

What happens when you log in as User instead of admin?

Tiny Tim

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsLS2e.891$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tiny Tim wrote:
>> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
>> can tell, *except* when I right click My Computer and select Properties
>> the machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box.
>> So I am unable to change performance settings, for example, or
>> disable/enable System Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to
>> upset the machine. I can get into Manage, for example, and Properties
>> works fine for each drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and
>> that turned up nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
>>
>> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tim.

> So it *isn't* behaving itself in all respects then!
>
> What happens when you log in as User instead of admin?

Forgive me - I thought the use of the word "except" was a clear indication
that there was something not quite right. I was simply highlighting that the
machine was not on the verge of total system collapse. It's actually a
fairly recent build and pretty clean with only Win XP, Office 2003 and a few
tried and tested utilities installed.

Anyway, I just created a new "limited user" account and that was able to
bring up My Computer - Properties. I logged out and switched back to an
admin account and upgraded the new user account to an admin and now that
won't bring up the properties page. So it looks like it's only failing for
admins. Any more ideas?

Brian H

Tiny Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So it looks like it's only failing for admins. Any
> more ideas?

Yes. **** off and die. You are a ****tard because you have pre-empted the
cause without checking if the same happens in a new admin account, you
****ing useless cuntflap.

Lookout

Lonely little **** ain't you?

Lookout wrote:

> Lonely little **** ain't you?

Why is there so much pain in life, I try so hard, I have tried to be the
best person I can and have ended up so much in pain that I do not know
what I am doing.

All I want is love, Is this hard to ask ?

I have spent the last 5 years hoping that things will change, hoping
that somebody would come along who was different, who did not use me
like an old shoe as I had soft feelings and deep emotions. Why, Why, Why
must I suffer because other people tread the road of evil and
destruction which is the easiest road.

I am not ugly, and am very caring, I have good prospects yet I have
become so reserved, so totally alone that I have no self confidence or
self respect. I have done silly things before trying to purge myself,
blaming myself as oviously I thought it was my fault. Why do people not
love me.

I have tried suicide a few times and know that next time I will suceed
if I try. I am on edge and only want some peace of mind.

I apologise for making anybody read this sad, It is not my intention,
only to get out in the open the pain and frustration I feel. I am not
religious and WILL never be so as I believe religion comes from inside
and not outside.

Nope, hang on......Forget all that ****, it was just gas.

Go **** yourself, **** for brains.

--
You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know.
Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that.

Parko

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:37:50 +0100, Tiny Tim wrote:

> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
> can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
> machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I am
> unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable System
> Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I can
> get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
> drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
> nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
>
> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.

Ignoring the head cases, you could try: sfc /scannow
http://tinyurl.com/26h3
Just make sure you have a WinXP install disc handy.

Tiny Tim

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:37:50 +0100, Tiny Tim wrote:
>
>> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
>> can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
>> machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I
>> am
>> unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable
>> System
>> Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I
>> can
>> get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
>> drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
>> nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
>>
>> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tim.

> Ignoring the head cases, you could try: sfc /scannow
> http://tinyurl.com/26h3
> Just make sure you have a WinXP install disc handy.

Thanks for that. I did try that earlier but it bombed on the second CD (I'm
actually running Win XP MCE 2005). I assume the first disk - XP OS rather
than MCE additional stuff - worked OK but it didn't fix the problem

"Tiny Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:424bfd63$0$27865$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsLS2e.891$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tiny Tim wrote:
>>> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far
>>> as I can tell, *except* when I right click My Computer and select
>>> Properties the machine thinks for a moment but does not display the
>>> Properties box. So I am unable to change performance settings, for
>>> example, or disable/enable System Restore. I'm not aware of having
>>> done anything to upset the machine. I can get into Manage, for
>>> example, and Properties works fine for each drive/partition. I have
>>> run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up nothing. I am logged in
>>> as an Admin.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tim.

>> So it *isn't* behaving itself in all respects then!
>>
>> What happens when you log in as User instead of admin?

> Forgive me - I thought the use of the word "except" was a clear
> indication that there was something not quite right. I was simply
> highlighting that the machine was not on the verge of total system
> collapse. It's actually a fairly recent build and pretty clean with
> only Win XP, Office 2003 and a few tried and tested utilities
> installed.
>
> Anyway, I just created a new "limited user" account and that was able
> to bring up My Computer - Properties. I logged out and switched back
> to an admin account and upgraded the new user account to an admin and
> now that won't bring up the properties page. So it looks like it's
> only failing for admins. Any more ideas?

Some of those "tried and tested utilities" may add a panel to the
Properties dialog window but are screwing up. Since one of the tab
panels cannot be displayed, the Properties dialog cannot be loaded.
Since you make it sound like there isn't much installed on Windows yet,
uninstall those utilities and the Properties dialog might then appear
(be sure to do a reboot after each uninstall since sometimes they leave
a pending file rename/delete in the registry that gets executed on a
reboot that the uninstall never informs you about). If that doesn't
work, you might end up having to do an in-place upgrade of Windows
(i.e., a repair; see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315341, method 2)
in an attempt to step atop of whatever stepped on it.