Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bigger Hard Drive

Bigger Hard Drive

Blaze

I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
Thanks

John Holmes

Blaze asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of
> the options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this,
> will everything work?

Yes

> Will I loose any drivers or registry settings
> for programs I have?

No

> Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?

Yes

> Thanks

Anytime.

--
- John Holmes -

" I ain't no **** "

\|/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blaze wrote:
> I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
> options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
> everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
> I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
> Thanks

It'll work. Just be careful when you're choosing which drive to copy
FROM and TO, could make a big difference.

S W

"Blaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsPY1e.38318$FB6.32171@trndny09...
>I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
>options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
>everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
>I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
> Thanks

There /could/ be a difference if the new disk is a different type of disk,
eg if your current disk is an IDE disk, and your new one is SATA, it may ask
for drivers when you boot. But although it will probably find them
automatically, you may have to insert your Windows XP disk.

What I would recommend is that when you have cloned the disks, you shut down
the PC instead os rebooting it. At that point, disconnect your old disk,
then restart the PC with the new disk as the only one present. If you don't
do that, th PC will try to reboot from the original disk, and treat the new
one as a second, non-system disk. Then you'll have to re-clone to get the
new one back up to date with the first.

Regards

SW

Blaze

Thank you all for your replies. I was concerned that everything would not
work.

"S W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42485e0e$0$67371$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Blaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsPY1e.38318$FB6.32171@trndny09...
>>I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
>>options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
>>everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for
>>programs I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
>> Thanks

> There /could/ be a difference if the new disk is a different type of disk,
> eg if your current disk is an IDE disk, and your new one is SATA, it may
> ask for drivers when you boot. But although it will probably find them
> automatically, you may have to insert your Windows XP disk.
>
> What I would recommend is that when you have cloned the disks, you shut
> down the PC instead os rebooting it. At that point, disconnect your old
> disk, then restart the PC with the new disk as the only one present. If
> you don't do that, th PC will try to reboot from the original disk, and
> treat the new one as a second, non-system disk. Then you'll have to
> re-clone to get the new one back up to date with the first.
>
> Regards
>
> SW

Tiny Tim

"Blaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsFZ1e.38341$FB6.7665@trndny09...
> Thank you all for your replies. I was concerned that everything would not
> work.
>
> "S W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42485e0e$0$67371$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Blaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsPY1e.38318$FB6.32171@trndny09...
>>>I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of
>>>the options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this,
>>>will everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for
>>>programs I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?
>>> Thanks

>> There /could/ be a difference if the new disk is a different type of
>> disk, eg if your current disk is an IDE disk, and your new one is SATA,
>> it may ask for drivers when you boot. But although it will probably find
>> them automatically, you may have to insert your Windows XP disk.
>>
>> What I would recommend is that when you have cloned the disks, you shut
>> down the PC instead os rebooting it. At that point, disconnect your old
>> disk, then restart the PC with the new disk as the only one present. If
>> you don't do that, th PC will try to reboot from the original disk, and
>> treat the new one as a second, non-system disk. Then you'll have to
>> re-clone to get the new one back up to date with the first.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> SW

A small word of warning based on my experiences with Ghost..... I cloned a
drive using Ghost 9.0 within Windows and had no end of trouble with
confusion over drive letters when I tried to boot from the new drive. It was
seen by Windows as a D: drive and nothing I could do would turn it into a C:
drive, even when I removed the original drive from the PC.

The problems vanished completely when I used an older version of Ghost to
clone the disk within a DOS environment. I wasted many hours trying to
fathom the problem under Windows with no success. Using Ghost within DOS got
me sorted in 10 minutes.

Plato

Blaze wrote:

> I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I have Norton Ghost and 1 of the
> options is to copy a hard drive from 1 to the other. If I do this, will
> everything work? Will I loose any drivers or registry settings for programs
> I have? Will my Windows XP Pro work properly?

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/214.htm#4
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/215.htm#3

El Duderino

A quick word: when I replaced my HD with a larger one I had to re-register
my copy of XP with M$; this also happened when I swapped a CD rewrite for a
DVD rewrite. Although it is relatively easy, and costs a phone call, it is
very annoying to have to do it. Also, if using a copy of XP or cracked
version be aware they will request a s/n, so get one ready.

--
'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such
news:4248d718$0$22412$(E-Mail Removed)...