Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ebay ads error

ebay ads error

Hissing

When I click on the ads in ebay:

http://ebay.doubleclick.net/click;h=v3|3249|0|0|%2a|z;14116601;11-0;2;8549086;7194-275|100;8962803|8980699|1;;~sscs=%3fhttp://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1116-18590-3840-155?id=34

I get the following error message: This page cannot be displayed.

I have removed XP SP2 and disabled firewall and virus scanner but still get
the same message. How can I resolve this please?

Regards

Hissing

°Mike°

Try updating your browser. Going on your version of OE,
your version of IE is almost certainly not up to date.

February 2005, Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (867282)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms05-014.mspx

July 2004, Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-018.mspx

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hissing took 14 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

"Hissing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I click on the ads in ebay:
>
> http://ebay.doubleclick.net/click;h=v3|3249|0|0|%2a|z;14116601;11-0;2;8549086;7194-275|100;8962803|8980699|1;;~sscs=%3fhttp://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1116-18590-3840-155?id=34
>
> I get the following error message: This page cannot be displayed.
>
> I have removed XP SP2 and disabled firewall and virus scanner but
> still get
> the same message. How can I resolve this please?

Flush your browser's temp file cache (exit IE, use the Internet Options
applet in Control Panel to flush the browser cache, and reload IE to try
again).

Maybe you are one of those that have been suckered, er, convinced in
using a hosts file that someone else has composed of supposedly "bad"
sites. There are several such hosts files available, one of which is
available from the mvps.org site. Check your hosts file to see if there
is an entry for "127.0.0.1 ebay.doubleclick.com". If so, that
circumvents a lookup on the IP name because the IP address is locally
defined (which points back to you but you are probably not running a web
server to honor the HTTP request).

If you look closely at the URL you provided here, note that there are 2
URLs there. The first has you go through a Doubleclick server which
then takes you to the other site specified as a parameter. So you could
edit the URL to remove the Doubleclick portion and just enter the
http://altfarm.mediaplex.com path portion of the URL (which is just
another ad).