Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Roxio DVD creator and XP pro... HELP!

Roxio DVD creator and XP pro... HELP!

Bob

New HP/Compaq computer, XP Pro, with a DVD burner added. I've just set up a
backup for about 3.8 gig of files to the DVD using Roxio "Creator Classic
6". It runs for 40 minutes or so and reports no particular probems. When I
take a good look at the DVD, I find about 2.3 gig of files! I haven't
spotted eveything that's missing, but I did find that all the folders inside
"My Documents" are empty. On the hard disk, there are files in these
folders. The "My Document" files are copied successfully. The folders inside
are created, but the contents aren't copied.

Is it possible that XP Pro won't give me "permission" to backup these files?

Any ideas?

Bob

Walter Mautner

Bob wrote:

> New HP/Compaq computer, XP Pro, with a DVD burner added. I've just set up
> a backup for about 3.8 gig of files to the DVD using Roxio "Creator
> Classic 6". It runs for 40 minutes or so and reports no particular
> probems. When I take a good look at the DVD, I find about 2.3 gig of
> files! I haven't spotted eveything that's missing, but I did find that all
> the folders inside "My Documents" are empty. On the hard disk, there are
> files in these folders. The "My Document" files are copied successfully.
> The folders inside are created, but the contents aren't copied.
>
> Is it possible that XP Pro won't give me "permission" to backup these
> files?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Even Administrator has no default
permission there, but with an administrative account you can "change
ownersip" of user folders inside (righclick - properties - permissions -
advanced ...). Don't forget to do it recursively. This will not remove the
existing owner from the access lists.
You can then add yourself to the "backup operators" template group, giving
users of this group at least read permissions inside the user folders, and
maybe remove administrator again.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Bob

Walter,

>> Yes, that's exactly what happens...

Thank you for saving my sanity!!