Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Scams

Scams

pat

I have never before received any scam emails. Over the last two weeks, I
have suddenly started receiving loads of them. So far from, Ebay, PayPal,
Huntington and now today, one from Key Bank, none of which I am a customer.
As advised I have tried to report these to 2 web sites 'Anti phishing.org'
and 'millersmiles.co.uk', but every one I send comes back as undelivered.
Was just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden purge of Scams, or could
it be something I am doing or not doing, if you get my drift.

carson

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d29b77$ilm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have never before received any scam emails. Over the last two weeks, I
> have suddenly started receiving loads of them. So far from, Ebay, PayPal,
> Huntington and now today, one from Key Bank, none of which I am a

customer.
> As advised I have tried to report these to 2 web sites 'Anti phishing.org'
> and 'millersmiles.co.uk', but every one I send comes back as undelivered.
> Was just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden purge of Scams, or

could
> it be something I am doing or not doing, if you get my drift.
>

> is that your real email address above?

if so..........

secret squiddle

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d29b77$ilm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have never before received any scam emails. Over the last two weeks, I
>have suddenly started receiving loads of them. So far from, Ebay, PayPal,
>Huntington and now today, one from Key Bank, none of which I am a customer.
>As advised I have tried to report these to 2 web sites 'Anti phishing.org'
>and 'millersmiles.co.uk', but every one I send comes back as undelivered.
>Was just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden purge of Scams, or could
>it be something I am doing or not doing, if you get my drift.

Using your real email address in newsgroup won't help you avoid spam/scam.

Spoof your email address

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) etc.

**SS**

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

pat wrote:

> I have never before received any scam emails. Over the last two weeks, I
> have suddenly started receiving loads of them. So far from, Ebay, PayPal,
> Huntington and now today, one from Key Bank, none of which I am a customer.
> As advised I have tried to report these to 2 web sites 'Anti phishing.org'
> and 'millersmiles.co.uk', but every one I send comes back as undelivered.
> Was just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden purge of Scams, or could
> it be something I am doing or not doing, if you get my drift.

If I had to guess, your email address just got passed around to some of
the lists. It may be related to you having signed up for some service or
bought some product, but it may not. It could be that some address
harvesting bot just got your email address from newsgroups, such as the
one you posted to this group with. You may be blessed with more spam now.

pat

Good point, don't know why I didn't think of that. It is only recently I
have started to use the newsgroup, so that is probably why. Can you please
tell me how to Spoof my email address? Thanks.

"secret squiddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:424832fb$0$32614$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d29b77$ilm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have never before received any scam emails. Over the last two weeks, I
>>have suddenly started receiving loads of them. So far from, Ebay, PayPal,
>>Huntington and now today, one from Key Bank, none of which I am a
>>customer. As advised I have tried to report these to 2 web sites 'Anti
>>phishing.org' and 'millersmiles.co.uk', but every one I send comes back as
>>undelivered. Was just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden purge of
>>Scams, or could it be something I am doing or not doing, if you get my
>>drift.

> Using your real email address in newsgroup won't help you avoid spam/scam.
>
> Spoof your email address
>
> (E-Mail Removed) etc.
>
> **SS**

carson

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d29cgo$nhq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good point, don't know why I didn't think of that. It is only recently I
> have started to use the newsgroup, so that is probably why. Can you please
> tell me how to Spoof my email address? Thanks.

tools-->accounts--->news--->properties
change to (E-Mail Removed)

pat

Thanks a lot. They say you learn something new every day. Not sure who says
it, but it's true.

"carson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d29cgo$nhq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Good point, don't know why I didn't think of that. It is only recently I
>> have started to use the newsgroup, so that is probably why. Can you
>> please
>> tell me how to Spoof my email address? Thanks.

> tools-->accounts--->news--->properties
> change to (E-Mail Removed)

MJP

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d29b77$ilm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have never before received any scam emails. Over the last two weeks, I
>have suddenly started receiving loads of them. So far from, Ebay, PayPal,
>Huntington and now today, one from Key Bank, none of which I am a customer.
>As advised I have tried to report these to 2 web sites 'Anti phishing.org'
>and 'millersmiles.co.uk', but every one I send comes back as undelivered.
>Was just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden purge of Scams, or could
>it be something I am doing or not doing, if you get my drift.

> d. How should I NOT mung my address?

(AOLers! Be sure to read Section 5, "Instructions for AOL members")

- IMPORTANT! Do not make up domain names! Most of them actually
exist, and your fakery could cause them a lot of woe. Certain
domains are already virtually useless because of folks using them
in mungs and forgeries. Plus, new domain names are being added all
the time, and you never know if someone might want to use your mung;
your actions today -do- have an effect on the future!

°Mike°

You may not use "thicko.com", as it is a VALID domain.
You should only use ".invalid" as a top level domain, as
explained here:

Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address

In <d29d2t$htk$(E-Mail Removed)>,
pat took 21 lines to utter:

>Thanks a lot. They say you learn something new every day. Not sure who says
>it, but it's true.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

why?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:57:59 +0100, pat wrote:

>Thanks a lot. They say you learn something new every day. Not sure who says
>it, but it's true.
>
>"carson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d29cgo$nhq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Good point, don't know why I didn't think of that. It is only recently I
>>> have started to use the newsgroup, so that is probably why. Can you
>>> please
>>> tell me how to Spoof my email address? Thanks.

>> tools-->accounts--->news--->properties
>> change to (E-Mail Removed)

Not very clever to use whatever.com as it belongs to someone and
redirects to a web site beargear.com

Registrant:
Dreamissary
PO Box 928019
San Diego, California 92192
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: WHATEVER.COM
Created on: 14-Aug-97
Expires on: 13-Aug-06
Last Updated on: 26-Oct-04

So in the case of name @ the domain mentioned above they get the spam.

Which is a very kind and thoughtful to do to them.

A few guides mentioned in 24HSHD from time to time,

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...oting_howavoid
http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide

Me