Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clusters

Clusters

Irwin Opper

Hi !,

I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal clusters per block should be?

TIA,
Irwin Opper
ijopper@adelphia .net

Windows XP
512 mgs ram
AMD 2000

Ron Martell

"Irwin Opper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi !,
>
>I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal clusters per block should be?
>
>TIA,
>Irwin Opper
>ijopper@adelphia .net
>
>Windows XP
>512 mgs ram
>AMD 2000

If you are using the entire drive as one NTFS partition then the
default cluster size of 4K is ideal.

If you want to create a FAT32 partition then there is no "ideal"
cluster size for a 200 gb partition. The maximum practical partition
size for FAT32 is 128 binary gb (137 billion bytes) using a 32K
cluster size, which results in 4.1 million total clusters in the
partition. Clusters sizes larger than 32K are not supported on FAT32
and partitions with more than 4.1 million total clusters are not
maintainable because Scandisk and Defrag will not operate on these
partitions.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

why?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:43:36 -0500, Irwin Opper wrote:

>Hi !,
>
>I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal clusters per block should be?

Besides using the default, no.

FAT/NTFS?

Similar questions asked before. Try,
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/search?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk&q=xp+ntfs+clus ter+size>
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?M244231CA

Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems / File Systems Intro.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_fil_tdrn.asp
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U32422118

http://www.ntfs.com/

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_optimization.htm
There are several factors (we do not mention here drive type, rpm ...)
that affect the NTFS Performance: Cluster Size, location and
fragmentation of Master File Table (MFT) and paging file, NTFS Volume
compression, NTFS Volume Source (created or converted from existing FAT
volume).

>TIA,
>Irwin Opper
>ijopper@adelphia .net
>
>Windows XP
>512 mgs ram
>AMD 2000

Me

philo

Irwin Opper wrote:
> Hi !,
>
> I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal
> clusters per block should be?
>
> TIA,
> Irwin Opper
> ijopper@adelphia .net
>
> Windows XP
> 512 mgs ram
> AMD 2000

use NTFS and the drive can be used at the full 200gigs if you wish

Fat32 would reqire 32gig partitions or less for best cluster size
but it's not recommended...nor can XP create larger fat32 partitions
without a 3rd party utility

Irwin Opper

Thank you all for your comments.

Irwin Opper

"Irwin Opper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi !,

I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal clusters per block should be?

TIA,
Irwin Opper
ijopper@adelphia .net

Windows XP
512 mgs ram
AMD 2000

Blinky the Shark

Irwin Opper wrote:

><HTML><HEAD>

There is help here:

http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/nobin.html.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

DC

http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
http://www.harley.com/turn-off-html/
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s2