Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disk Defragmenter

Disk Defragmenter

Swenkal

My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
time defragment and still nowhere.

Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
defrag program out there.

Thanks

miles__ahead@hotmail.com

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
>for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
>time defragment and still nowhere.
>
>Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
>defrag program out there.

The way to do it without using a defrag program is

copy the files someplace else
format the drive
copy the files back

The files should be contiguous when copied back to the
clean drive.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
>>for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
>>time defragment and still nowhere.
>>
>>Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
>>defrag program out there.

> The way to do it without using a defrag program is
>
> copy the files someplace else
> format the drive
> copy the files back
>
> The files should be contiguous when copied back to the
> clean drive.

That ain't easy to do without ghosting the drive, then the
defragmentation is preserved.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Rgr wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after
>>> defragging it for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP
>>> and then from a boot time defragment and still nowhere.
>>>
>>> Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real
>>> good defrag program out there.

>> The way to do it without using a defrag program is
>>
>> copy the files someplace else
>> format the drive
>> copy the files back
>>
>> The files should be contiguous when copied back to the
>> clean drive.

> That ain't easy to do without ghosting the drive, then the
> defragmentation is preserved.

er ^^ fragmentation

Jerry G.

Start the computer in the safe mode. Use the original MS defrag utility, and
it should work. This works for me all the time, and does an excellent job.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Swenkal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
time defragment and still nowhere.

Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
defrag program out there.

Thanks

Graham P. Filderson

wrote:

>My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
>for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
>time defragment and still nowhere.
>
>Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
>defrag program out there.
>
>Thanks

vopt

Buffalo

"Swenkal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
> for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
> time defragment and still nowhere.
>
> Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
> defrag program out there.
>
> Thanks

How much free space on that 60GB drive?
Is that drive partitioned?
If you don't have enough free space, it won't defrag.
Have your run an up-to-date virus scan?
Spyware scans?
Scandisk first (or whatever they call it in XP)?

miles__ahead@hotmail.com

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:26:27 -0500, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That ain't easy to do without ghosting the drive, then the
>defragmentation is preserved.

I'm starting to see why they farm out all the programming to India.
The people here look for ways to make things not work and then
do them.

valeofbelvoirdrinker

I find Diskeeper to be an excellent program and today it defragged my
drive from 359% fragmented ( that is 3.59 fragments per file
throughout the drive) - over 65000 fragmented files - in about 5 - 10
minutes .
The MS defrag program is excruciatingly slooooooow and doesn't seem to
do a thorough job anyway! And it's affected by other things running ,
so I would never use it at all.
I would guess there is another problem if the program has ben run for
tens of hours !