Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > usb drives recognized when booting from emergency floppy

usb drives recognized when booting from emergency floppy

leewiley2@yahoo.com

Is it possible to boot from a win98SE or ME startup disc and have the
USB ports available as well as have the following devices attached to
the USB port be recognized: CDROM, flash (thumb) drive, USB hard drive
enclosure?

It appears the BIOSes on the machines I want to do this with recognize
the USB ports.

If so, could someone help by explaining which drivers one needs to add
to the startup disc and how exactly one needs to modify the
autoexec.bat and config.sys files or other files that need to be added
or edited? Thanks.

Billh

> Is it possible to boot from a win98SE or ME startup disc and have the
> USB ports available as well as have the following devices attached to
> the USB port be recognized: CDROM, flash (thumb) drive, USB hard drive
> enclosure?
>
> It appears the BIOSes on the machines I want to do this with recognize
> the USB ports.
>
> If so, could someone help by explaining which drivers one needs to add
> to the startup disc and how exactly one needs to modify the
> autoexec.bat and config.sys files or other files that need to be added
> or edited? Thanks.

Google type: usb dos press enter second link.

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm Take a look here.

If you are just want to get in to a system to transfer files you could
boot of a Live Linux cd. Or what I did was make a live Windows XP
called Bart PE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

°Mike°

USB with DOS
http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/newsitem/149.html