Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Four Reasons I Won't Use XP

Four Reasons I Won't Use XP

Necromancer

I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:

1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them? I'm
aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to address
THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
them, just for good measure.

2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's none
of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration process
is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a known
"good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
complementary copy of a trojan dropper.

3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?

4) Phone-homery. This one really ****es me off. The search assistant,
the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
of such a guide?

Thanks in advance.

Steve P

Well don't use it then!

doS

That's telling 'em.

"Steve P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well don't use it then!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Necromancer wrote:

> I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
>
> 1) Open ports.

Zone Alarm free edition.

> 2) Windows product activation.

Buy the corporate edition.

> 3) Hardware fingerprinting.

Buy the corporate edition.

> 4) Phone-homery.

Zone Alarm free edition.

Vanguard

"Necromancer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yai0e.2025$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
>
> 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports.

Apparently we are to assume that you are "upgrading" from a non-Windows
platform to a Windows platform. Won't work. Windows UPGRADES only let
you migrate upward from an existing installation of Windows. Your
statement infers that either you were not using Windows before or you
mistakeningly believe that prior versions of Windows did not have open
ports (which YOU must open by running an application that actually
listens on a port). In your example, don't set the "Messenger" NT
service to load automatically (or even manually; i.e., disable it) if
you don't want it listening on port 135 (and a few others). A port
cannot be used/abused unless some process is *listening* on that port.
Use SysInternal's TCPview to see which processes are listening on a
port.

> 2) Windows product activation. My relationship with
> Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy.

Easily accomplished. Don't use their software if you don't agree to its
terms of use or its behavior. There are plenty of other choices for an
operating system.

> 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of
> my
> hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do
> so
> via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve
> this,
> anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?

Same solution as above. Use someone's software to whom you do agree to
their terms and behavior.

> 4) Phone-homery. This one really ****es me off. The search
> assistant,
> the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making
> some
> obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's
> constant
> reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea.

You are incapable of going into its options and simply disabling them?
Sure seemed real easy to me. Of course, and since you already mentioned
firewalls, use a firewall that monitors outbound connections by
application (i.e., it has application rules) and simply select to block
all connects by WMP when the firewall's prompt appears when WMP first
attempts to connect. No rocket science needed.

> I have to imagine someone
> else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an
> XP
> box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to
> Microsoft --
> including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone
> know
> of such a guide?

A Google search will turn up lots of Windows guides, help articles, and
tweaking utilities. Self-education takes time but may be shorter than
taking classes depending on your initiative. Otherwise, you can always
ask specific questions about a specific behavior that you want to alter
and hope someone provides a specific response. Since you mentioned
firewalls, you already know the solution: define filters to block all
connects to Microsoft's domains: microsoft.com, msn.com, hotmail.com,
akamai.com (Microsoft contracts with them for Windows Update load
balancing), and any others you find. Many firewalls only let you block
by IP address which is a pain. Some will let you do URL filtering where
you can specify the URL string on which you want to block (just make
sure your hosts file hasn't been corrupted to redirect to malware sites,
plus you may have to flush the local DNS cache after blocking a site by
URL instead of by IP address). Then you never have to deal or
communicate with Microsoft again although, as mentioned above, not using
their products is probably an easier solution (but then you'll have to
deal with the behavior of whomever else's software you use).

mentalguy2004

"Necromancer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yai0e.2025$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
>
> 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
> a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them?
> I'm
> aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to
> address
> THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
> also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
> them, just for good measure.
>
> 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
> Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's
> none
> of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration
> process
> is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a
> known
> "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
> complementary copy of a trojan dropper.
>
> 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
> hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
> via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
> anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
>
> 4) Phone-homery. This one really ****es me off. The search assistant,
> the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
> obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
> reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
> else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
> box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
> including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
> of such a guide?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway, so open ports
aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it working, I don't think
modern trojans are backwards compatible with Linux's 1970's applications.

Perce P. Cassidy

It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:

> "Necromancer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yai0e.2025$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>>I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
>>
>> 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
>> a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them?
>> I'm
>> aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to
>> address
>> THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
>> also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
>> them, just for good measure.
>>
>> 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
>> Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's
>> none
>> of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration
>> process
>> is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a
>> known
>> "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
>> complementary copy of a trojan dropper.
>>
>> 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
>> hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
>> via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
>> anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
>>
>> 4) Phone-homery. This one really ****es me off. The search assistant,
>> the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
>> obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
>> reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
>> else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
>> box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
>> including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
>> of such a guide?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway,

Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.

> so open ports aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it
> working,

It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.

> I don't think modern trojans are backwards compatible with
> Linux's 1970's applications.

So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

--

mentalguy2004

"Perce P. Cassidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:
>

>> "Necromancer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:yai0e.2025$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>>>I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
>>>
>>> 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone
>>> recommend
>>> a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them?
>>> I'm
>>> aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to
>>> address
>>> THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall
>>> could
>>> also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to
>>> close
>>> them, just for good measure.
>>>
>>> 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship
>>> with
>>> Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's
>>> none
>>> of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration
>>> process
>>> is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a
>>> known
>>> "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with
>>> complementary copy of a trojan dropper.
>>>
>>> 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of
>>> my
>>> hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
>>> via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
>>> anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
>>>
>>> 4) Phone-homery. This one really ****es me off. The search assistant,
>>> the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
>>> obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's
>>> constant
>>> reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
>>> else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an
>>> XP
>>> box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
>>> including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone
>>> know
>>> of such a guide?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway,

> Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.
>
>> so open ports aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it
>> working,

> It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.
>
>> I don't think modern trojans are backwards compatible with
>> Linux's 1970's applications.

> So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

LOL, you linux nerds are a humourless lot....

Mara

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:03:27 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Perce P. Cassidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:

<snip>
>>> Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway,

>> Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.
>>
>>> so open ports aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it
>>> working,

>> It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.
>>
>>> I don't think modern trojans are backwards compatible with
>>> Linux's 1970's applications.

>> So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

>LOL, you linux nerds are a humourless lot....

It has nothing to do with humor, and everything to do with false information.
Linux sees my network adapter just fine, it was quite easy to install and
configure, and the bit about "Linux's 1970's applications" is a flat-out lie -
if that were true, those "70's applications" wouldn't run on today's hardware,
which is light-years different from then.

"But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions. "

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

mentalguy2004

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:03:27 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Perce P. Cassidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004
>>> contributed:

> <snip>
>>>
>>> Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.

>>> It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.

>>> So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not
>>> surprised.

>>LOL, you linux nerds are a humourless lot....

> It has nothing to do with humor, and everything to do with false
> information.
> Linux sees my network adapter just fine, it was quite easy to install and
> configure, and the bit about "Linux's 1970's applications" is a flat-out
> lie -
> if that were true, those "70's applications" wouldn't run on today's
> hardware,
> which is light-years different from then.

LOL again. I'm reeling them in today! Must have hit a nerve.