Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Defragment

Defragment

Harry

Hi,
I was defragmenting my drive C:\ and I noticed a section of the disk
called "Unmoveable Files", colored in green. Was wondering what files were
they?
Any advice will be appreciated.

--
Harry Bluebottle

" that all our science, measured against reality,
is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we
have."
-----The Great Albert Einstein------

philo

Harry wrote:
> Hi,
> I was defragmenting my drive C:\ and I noticed a section of the disk
> called "Unmoveable Files", colored in green. Was wondering what files were
> they?
> Any advice will be appreciated.

that's usually your swap file and a few other files necessary for
booting your computer...
it's nothing to worry about

Harry

Thank You!

--
Harry Bluebottle

" that all our science, measured against reality,
is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we
have."
>> I was defragmenting my drive C:\ and I noticed a section of the disk
>> called "Unmoveable Files", colored in green. Was wondering what files
>> were they?
>> Any advice will be appreciated.
>>

> that's usually your swap file and a few other files necessary for booting
> your computer...
> it's nothing to worry about

Vanguard

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4241a7d3$0$12409$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I was defragmenting my drive C:\ and I noticed a section of the disk
> called "Unmoveable Files", colored in green. Was wondering what files
> were they?
> Any advice will be appreciated.

You could look within the defragger's own help for information. Often
the help already includes the topic of your question. For example, it
says:

Green areas represent unmovable files, which cannot be relocated by Disk
Defragmenter.
On file allocation table (FAT)/FAT32 volumes, the green areas are
typically represent paging files, which are also called swap files.
However, on volumes formatted using the NTFS file system, they may also
represent space used by the NTFS Change journal and the NTFS logfile.

"There appear to be unmovable files on volumes other than the system
volumes and boot volumes."
Cause: Paging files appear as unmovable files in Disk Defragmenter. On
NTFS volumes the NTFS change journal also appears as an unmovable file.
Solution: This is by design because paging files cannot be moved and
therefore cannot be defragmented. For more information, see 'Why files
are not moved to some regions of NTFS-formatted volumes' (this is a
link; content shown below).

"Why files are not moved to some regions of NTFS-formatted volumes"
On volumes formatted with the NTFS file system, Windows reserves a
portion of the free space called the master file table (MFT) Zone, as a
space where the MFT can grow. Windows stores all the information
necessary to retrieve files from the volume in the MFT.
Disk Defragmenter cannot move files to the MFT Zone because it is
reserved by Windows. However, Windows allows other files to be saved in
the space reserved for the MFT Zone when no other disk space is
available.

safe mode defragment stevenM Computer Support 11 02-23-2006 02:19 AM
Defragment yakis Computer Support 4 05-30-2005 01:54 AM
defragment boysey5 Computer Support 1 10-12-2004 03:10 PM
Help! Can't defragment W2K Pro - Get 'server busy' message Phin Computer Support 5 09-28-2004 07:37 AM
Windows XP and files that didn't defragment.... Hell Billy Computer Support 2 10-13-2003 03:13 AM

Advertisments