Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Defragging problem

Defragging problem

belto

I am trying to cure a serious attack by adware, popups etc 248 approx
re-installed antivrus and trying to defrag the hard drice .
Everything looks ok HDD active and windows stating deframenting drive
but after 2 hours still the same with no progress.
Running Win ME on IBM ThinkPad
Any helpfull suggestions would be apreciated

carson

"belto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ugg0e.116818$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> I am trying to cure a serious attack by adware, popups etc 248 approx
> re-installed antivrus and trying to defrag the hard drice .
> Everything looks ok HDD active and windows stating deframenting drive
> but after 2 hours still the same with no progress.
> Running Win ME on IBM ThinkPad
> Any helpfull suggestions would be apreciated
>
> stop all running programs except explorer

virus scanners and such can interrupt the defragment process
forcing it to start over and over

old john

hi b. restart computer and press F8 to start in `safe mode`
then do your defrag..J

"belto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ugg0e.116818$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
>I am trying to cure a serious attack by adware, popups etc 248 approx
>re-installed antivrus and trying to defrag the hard drice .
> Everything looks ok HDD active and windows stating deframenting drive
> but after 2 hours still the same with no progress.
> Running Win ME on IBM ThinkPad
> Any helpfull suggestions would be apreciated

°Mike°

Start here:

Next, download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
Now maintained by InterMute
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

************************************************** ************

When you have done all of that, try defragmenting again.
If you still have problems, see:
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:52:20 GMT, in
<Ugg0e.116818$(E-Mail Removed) k>
belto scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

valeofbelvoirdrinker

Install Diskeeper - does a better job quicker than the built in defrag
utility.It's not affected by other things running on the computer.