Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox blocking certain websites

Firefox blocking certain websites

Preesi

Why does Firefox block access to certain websites?
Like Download.com, qwksrv.com and a few others.
I cannot access download.com at all in Firefox, but can in IE.
Whats up here?
Is Firefox protecting me from something?

--
preesi
~~~~~~~~~

trout

Preesi wrote:

> Why does Firefox block access to certain websites?
> Like Download.com, qwksrv.com and a few others.
> I cannot access download.com at all in Firefox, but can in IE.
> Whats up here?
> Is Firefox protecting me from something?

I have no problem with, say, Download.com with Firefox. Just
offhand, do you use Adblock? One of your rules could be too general, and
taking the whole site out. Do you use a hosts file?
--
One thought.

Preesi

trout wrote:
> Preesi wrote:
>
>> Why does Firefox block access to certain websites?
>> Like Download.com, qwksrv.com and a few others.
>> I cannot access download.com at all in Firefox, but can in IE.
>> Whats up here?
>> Is Firefox protecting me from something?

> I have no problem with, say, Download.com with Firefox. Just
> offhand, do you use Adblock? One of your rules could be too general,
> and taking the whole site out. Do you use a hosts file?

UUUUHHH!
Is Adblock part of Firefox or stand alone?
If stand alone, NO.
Whats a hosts file?

--
preesi
~~~~~~~~~
"The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth?
Yeah, after The Strong Kick The Enemies Asses For You Cowards!"
~~~~~~~~~
My Websites: http://tinyurl.com/yvw45
Where I Hang Out: http://www.there.com
Lets go surfing together: http://www.lluna.de/
My Pogo and AIM name: PreesiGirl
(Come play with me)

Neil

"Preesi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> trout wrote:
> > Preesi wrote:
> >
> >> Why does Firefox block access to certain websites?
> >> Like Download.com, qwksrv.com and a few others.
> >> I cannot access download.com at all in Firefox, but can in IE.
> >> Whats up here?
> >> Is Firefox protecting me from something?

> > I have no problem with, say, Download.com with Firefox. Just
> > offhand, do you use Adblock? One of your rules could be too general,
> > and taking the whole site out. Do you use a hosts file?

> UUUUHHH!
> Is Adblock part of Firefox or stand alone?
> If stand alone, NO.
> Whats a hosts file?

None of the links are blocked; by FireFox or anything else, could be a Hosts
file problem or AdBlock.

trout

Preesi wrote:

> trout wrote:
>> Preesi wrote:
>>
>>> Why does Firefox block access to certain websites?
>>> Like Download.com, qwksrv.com and a few others.
>>> I cannot access download.com at all in Firefox, but can in IE.
>>> Whats up here?
>>> Is Firefox protecting me from something?

>> I have no problem with, say, Download.com with Firefox. Just
>> offhand, do you use Adblock? One of your rules could be too general,
>> and taking the whole site out. Do you use a hosts file?

> UUUUHHH!
> Is Adblock part of Firefox or stand alone?

It's a downloadable extension. So, 'no', then.

> If stand alone, NO.
> Whats a hosts file?

A hosts file (in the context of site *blocking*) is basically a list
of sites that direct your browser back to the 'local machine', or
"127.0.0.1", preventing them from loading. If you didn't add the entry,
or use a third-party file, this probaby ain't it.
--
Look for one in the Windows folder.

Ionizer

> "Preesi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is Adblock part of Firefox or stand alone?
>> If stand alone, NO.
>> Whats a hosts file?

> could be a Hosts file problem or AdBlock.

What sort of response is that, then?

--
Ian.

Top

"Preesi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> trout wrote:
>> Preesi wrote:
>>
>>> Why does Firefox block access to certain websites?
>>> Like Download.com, qwksrv.com and a few others.
>>> I cannot access download.com at all in Firefox, but can in
>>> IE. Whats up here?
>>> Is Firefox protecting me from something?

>> I have no problem with, say, Download.com with Firefox.
>> Just
>> offhand, do you use Adblock? One of your rules could be too
>> general, and taking the whole site out. Do you use a hosts
>> file?

> UUUUHHH!
> Is Adblock part of Firefox or stand alone?
> If stand alone, NO.
> Whats a hosts file?

Read this, it is from Firefox help section. Look in the index
to find it easily.

Popup windows, or popups, are windows that appear automatically
without your permission. They vary in size but usually don't
cover the whole screen. Some popups open on top of the current
Firefox window, while others appear underneath Firefox
(popunders).

Firefox allows you to control both popups and popunders through
the Web Features panel in OptionsPreferences. Popup blocking is
turned on by default, so you don't have to worry about enabling
it to prevent popups from appearing in Firefox.

When blocking a popup, Firefox displays an information bar, as
well as an icon in the status bar. When you click either the
information bar or the icon, a menu is displayed with the
following choices:

* Allow/Block popups for this site
* Edit Popup Blocker Options
* Don't show info message when blocking popups
* (show a blocked popup)

Blocking popups may interfere with some web sites: Some web
sites, including some banking sites, use popups for important
features. Blocking all popups disables such features. To allow
specific web sites to use popups, while blocking all others,
you can add specific web sites to the list of allowed sites.

Blocking popups doesn't always work: Although Firefox blocks
most popups, some web sites may show popups using uncovered
methods, even when blocked.

--
If it walks like a duck .... you know the rest.