Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to get rid of Fatso.A MSN Virus?

How to get rid of Fatso.A MSN Virus?

Capt. Canuck

Hello,

My friend unknowingly accepted some file on msn and got this virus. So I
look it up and symantec has put a cleaner for it, the problem is that the
program shuts down any programs that contains the word "fix" in their window
title (among other words), so the program, fixsflog.exe, closes as soon as
it is run. I also tried running it in safe mode, no luck. I also tried
shutting down all the startup programs and then running it, no luck. Does
anybody know how to get rid of this thing?

More Info:
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...SO%2EA&VSect=T
and it's either one of these two:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...serflog.a.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...serflog.c.html

Thanks for any help.

Thomas Schmidt

Capt. Canuck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My friend unknowingly accepted some file on msn and got this
> virus. So I look it up and symantec has put a cleaner for it, the
> problem is
> that the program shuts down any programs that contains the word
> "fix" in
> their window title (among other words), so the program,
> fixsflog.exe, closes as
> soon as it is run. I also tried running it in safe mode, no luck. I
> also
> tried shutting down all the startup programs and then running it, no
> luck. Does anybody know how to get rid of this thing?
>
> More Info:

Abuse report filed with http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) .

cluedweasel

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:03:46 -0500, "Thomas Schmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Abuse report filed with (E-Mail Removed) .

Care to explain why?

Capt. Canuck

"Thomas Schmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_vs%d.43050$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Abuse report filed with (E-Mail Removed) .

Huh??
Thanks for the insightful response.

Dan Glybitz

"Capt. Canuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My friend unknowingly accepted some file on msn and got this virus. So
> look it up and symantec has put a cleaner for it, the problem is that the
> program shuts down any programs that contains the word "fix" in their
> window
> title (among other words), so the program, fixsflog.exe, closes as soon as
> it is run. I also tried running it in safe mode, no luck. I also tried
> shutting down all the startup programs and then running it, no luck. Does
> anybody know how to get rid of this thing?
>
> More Info:
> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...SO%2EA&VSect=T
> and it's either one of these two:
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...serflog.a.html
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...serflog.c.html
>
> Thanks for any help.

Seems a bit obvious. Rename fixsflog.exe? Or is that too simple?

DG.

cluedweasel

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 04:03:28 GMT, "Capt. Canuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> My friend unknowingly accepted some file on msn and got this virus. So I
>look it up and symantec has put a cleaner for it, the problem is that the
>program shuts down any programs that contains the word "fix" in their window
>title (among other words), so the program, fixsflog.exe, closes as soon as
>it is run. I also tried running it in safe mode, no luck. I also tried
>shutting down all the startup programs and then running it, no luck. Does
>anybody know how to get rid of this thing?

Have a browse through
http://forums.happy-messaging.com/di...ges/35/35.html. It's a
forum about MSN virus problems. There may be something useful there.

Capt. Canuck

"Dan Glybitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kht%d.179$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Seems a bit obvious. Rename fixsflog.exe? Or is that too simple?
>
> DG.

Yeah that seemed obvious to me too, I tried it....no luck. It still opens
with whatever is supposed to be in the title bar (and I can't read cuz it
opens and closes almost instantly)

Thanks anyway though.

Capt. Canuck

"cluedweasel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 04:03:28 GMT, "Capt. Canuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have a browse through
> http://forums.happy-messaging.com/di...ges/35/35.html. It's a
> forum about MSN virus problems. There may be something useful there.

There was some useful stuff there that I'll get him to try tommorrow.
Thanks.

Wizard