Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Low disk space

Low disk space

dfederic

I have only have winxp and all the updates on my c drive of 15gb.
My d drive is very large and all my programs on it.
What's taking so much space? I did all cleaning.
Thanks for any help

Jerry G.

You don't make much sense. First you say your drive is very large. Then you
say you have only 15 gb. By today's standards, a 15 gb drive is very small!

You should be able to explore your drive and see what you have on it. Also
check your cache and tmp files. You can use the cleanup utility that is part
of your operating system.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"dfederic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HF6%d.52795$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have only have winxp and all the updates on my c drive of 15gb.
My d drive is very large and all my programs on it.
What's taking so much space? I did all cleaning.
Thanks for any help

www.bigun.serverbox.org

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't make much sense. First you say your drive is very large. Then

you
> say you have only 15 gb. By today's standards, a 15 gb drive is very

small!

> You should be able to explore your drive and see what you have on it. Also
> check your cache and tmp files. You can use the cleanup utility that is

part
> of your operating system.
>
> --

Another thing to check is the amount of space you have allocated to SYSTEM
RESTORE as this can double the amount of disk space that is used I:E..your
system tells you that 14.6GB is used on your hard drive...what it dont tell
you is that half of it is used by system backup...

Martik

Download treesize to analyse space used for each folder including system and
hidden. XP should easily fit under 5GB with updates, pagefile and hiberfile.

Keme

dfederic wrote:
> I have only have winxp and all the updates on my c drive of 15gb.
> My d drive is very large and all my programs on it.
> What's taking so much space? I did all cleaning.
> Thanks for any help

Some programs insist on installing at least partially on system drive
(C: drive on most computers). Check your folders to see which are using
the most space. (Right click folder and select "properties").

If it is "Program files", you probably have installed something there
after all.

If it is "Documents and settings" you have either forgotten to move "My
documents" to D:, or you have a "free" program with banner ads, caching
its ad info in your user folder inside "Docs & settings"

If it is Windows (using more than 7-8 GB) you probably have many restore
points. You could try deleting all restore points.

Then again, you may have a virus. Do you have an updated virus checker
(sorry! I just had to ask.)