Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keylogger

Keylogger

Andrew

Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I delete it but
it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many of the
entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got into
my system to cause this?
Andrew

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:15:03 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I delete it but
|> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many of the
|> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got into
|> my system to cause this?

google: Remote Keylogger mabry

--
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18524911.600

Vanguard

news:d1fndn$kue$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I delete
> it but
> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many
> of the
> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got
> into
> my system to cause this?
> Andrew

http://www.download.com/008-Remote-K...-10325865.html

Andrew

"Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d1fndn$kue$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I delete it
>> but
>> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many of
>> the
>> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got
>> into
>> my system to cause this?
>> Andrew
>>

> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-K...-10325865.html

I want to rid myself of it not download it!
Andrew

Vanguard

news:d1h09t$483$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d1fndn$kue$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I
>>> delete it but
>>> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many
>>> of the
>>> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has
>>> got into
>>> my system to cause this?

>> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-K...-10325865.html
>>

> I want to rid myself of it not download it!

Guess you have no initiative. Visit the homepage link at the download
site's description. They probably have support pages, or contact info,
so you can ask. From what I saw there, there is an uninstall option but
probably only if you were the parent or employer that installed the
product and have the admin rights to the uninstall option. They don't
look to be hiding.

You could use SysInternals' RegMon utility to see which process what
writing to the registry. Use its filter option to limit the monitoring
to just the registry key you want to monitor.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> > http://www.download.com/008-Remote-K...-10325865.html
|> >
|> I want to rid myself of it not download it!

Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger and
see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.

After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
yourself, since you are now the instigator.

I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.

Got a camera set up on your computer? Wave

--
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18524911.600

Andrew

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-K...-10325865.html
> |> >
> |> I want to rid myself of it not download it!
>
> Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
> Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger and
> see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.
>
> After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
> yourself, since you are now the instigator.
>
> I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.

My concern it that it has been placed in my system to track my activities.
Andrew

Vanguard

news:d1ju3u$9ft$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-K...-10325865.html

>> Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
>> Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger
>> and
>> see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.
>>
>> After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
>> yourself, since you are now the instigator.
>>
>> I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.
>>

> My concern it that it has been placed in my system to track my
> activities.

Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.

If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.

www.bigun.serverbox.org

"Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d1ju3u$9ft$(E-Mail Removed)...

((SNIPED))

> Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
> Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
> or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
> to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
> isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
> them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
>
> If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.

tHERE IS ALSO ANOTHER (sorry caps lock) thing,,,it may have been installed
before you bought the comp (if you got it secondhand)
also if you download programZ then one of those could have been made up to
install the keylogger as well then it logs everything you do and EMAILS the
information to someone that you dont know..
Key loggers log every thing you type even passwords and the site they were
entered into,,on top of this they can also take pictures of the desktop so
any information you type into forms or details that you have to enter to
install programs on your computer ie: you personal insterlation key and
name...

then there is the problem of it logs every thing you type into emails

simply keyloggers store every thing you do on your comp and can be setup to
let other people pich what you do or know

Vanguard

"www.bigun.serverbox.org" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:a8h%d.616$(E-Mail Removed)...

> tHERE IS ALSO ANOTHER (sorry caps lock) thing,,,it may have been
> installed
> before you bought the comp (if you got it secondhand)
> also if you download programZ then one of those could have been made
> up to
> install the keylogger as well then it logs everything you do and
> EMAILS the
> information to someone that you dont know..
> Key loggers log every thing you type even passwords and the site they
> were
> entered into,,on top of this they can also take pictures of the
> desktop so
> any information you type into forms or details that you have to enter
> install programs on your computer ie: you personal insterlation key
> and
> name...
>
> then there is the problem of it logs every thing you type into emails
>
> simply keyloggers store every thing you do on your comp and can be
> setup to
> let other people pich what you do or know

Another reason to use a 3rd party firewall that prompts the user whether
or not an application is allowed to make an outbound connection. Use a
firewall that has application hijacking protection and also protects
against DLL injection (or fireholing). You might authorize a program to
make connections, like IE, but you don't want malware substituting its
DLL in place of the one that IE uses or otherwise having an unauthorized
program using an authorized program to get a connection. Of course,
these extra protections also result in more prompts during the learning
period.