Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow wireless networking

Slow wireless networking

Phil

I have a desktop PC connected to broadband Internet via a D-Link 2.4GHz
wireless router (DI-614+) running 802.11b. I also have a laptop computer
with an Intel (R) PRO/wireless 2915ABG network card running 802.11 b/g. I am
able to access the Internet through the wireless connection, but the speed
is very very slow. So, I am thinking about upgrading to a better router.
What hardware is recommended?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Phil wrote:

> I have a desktop PC connected to broadband Internet via a D-Link 2.4GHz
> wireless router (DI-614+) running 802.11b. I also have a laptop computer
> with an Intel (R) PRO/wireless 2915ABG network card running 802.11 b/g. I am
> able to access the Internet through the wireless connection, but the speed
> is very very slow. So, I am thinking about upgrading to a better router.
> What hardware is recommended?

Why do you think it's the router causing the problem? Even if it's only
running plain vanilla 802.11b it'll hit sustained rates of 5-7 Mbs if
you have good signal strength and signal quality. What kind of speed are
you getting?

Phil

Actually, I'm not at all sure the problem is caused by the router. That was
just a guess and it may well be wrong. The communication speed I am getting
varies somewhat, but it is always very slow. I don't know how to measure the
speed precisely.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question: "If one has a desktop PC directly
connected to the Internet and achieving good transmission speed, and one
also has a laptop PC connected via a wireless network arrangement, and if
the laptop PC is realizing a very slow Internet transmission speed, what are
the various things one might do to speed up the laptop's communications?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phil wrote:
>
>> I have a desktop PC connected to broadband Internet via a D-Link 2.4GHz
>> wireless router (DI-614+) running 802.11b. I also have a laptop computer
>> with an Intel (R) PRO/wireless 2915ABG network card running 802.11 b/g. I
>> am able to access the Internet through the wireless connection, but the
>> speed is very very slow. So, I am thinking about upgrading to a better
>> router. What hardware is recommended?

> Why do you think it's the router causing the problem? Even if it's only
> running plain vanilla 802.11b it'll hit sustained rates of 5-7 Mbs if you
> have good signal strength and signal quality. What kind of speed are you
> getting?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Phil wrote:
> Actually, I'm not at all sure the problem is caused by the router. That was
> just a guess and it may well be wrong. The communication speed I am getting
> varies somewhat, but it is always very slow. I don't know how to measure the
> speed precisely.
>
> Perhaps I should rephrase my question: "If one has a desktop PC directly
> connected to the Internet and achieving good transmission speed, and one
> also has a laptop PC connected via a wireless network arrangement, and if
> the laptop PC is realizing a very slow Internet transmission speed, what are
> the various things one might do to speed up the laptop's communications?

Actually, that's much better. You can measure the speed in a number of
ways, probably the simplest is to go to a speed measuring site such as
http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html and pick either the European
or US server to test to get a pretty good idea. The software that comes
with most wireless clients will give you an indicator (sometimes very
rudimentary) of your connection quality and what speed it's supposed to
be working at, such as 11Mb, 5mb, so on. Test the laptop very close to
the router and see if that changes anything. Change channels and see
what happens. You may be right about the router being the problem, but
it may not be. Sometimes updating the firmware to a wireless device will
work wonders.

Paul - xxx

Rgr composed the following;:
> Phil wrote:
>> Actually, I'm not at all sure the problem is caused by the router.
>> That was just a guess and it may well be wrong. The communication
>> speed I am getting varies somewhat, but it is always very slow. I
>> don't know how to measure the speed precisely.
>>
>> Perhaps I should rephrase my question: "If one has a desktop PC
>> directly connected to the Internet and achieving good transmission
>> speed, and one also has a laptop PC connected via a wireless network
>> arrangement, and if the laptop PC is realizing a very slow Internet
>> transmission speed, what are the various things one might do to
>> speed up the laptop's communications?

> Actually, that's much better. You can measure the speed in a number of
> ways, probably the simplest is to go to a speed measuring site such as
> http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html and pick either the European
> or US server to test to get a pretty good idea. The software that
> comes with most wireless clients will give you an indicator
> (sometimes very rudimentary) of your connection quality and what
> speed it's supposed to be working at, such as 11Mb, 5mb, so on. Test
> the laptop very close to the router and see if that changes anything.
> Change channels and see what happens.

In our house if we use channel 1 (default) we have similar symptoms, if
we use any other channel then we're fine .. No ideas as to why, but
cba to find out either, it just works.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Capitol

Paul - xxx wrote:
> In our house if we use channel 1 (default) we have similar symptoms, if
> we use any other channel then we're fine .. No ideas as to why, but
> cba to find out either, it just works.

May well be that someone else is using the same frequency, or their
microwave is! 2.4GHz seems to be very popular with some headlamps and
ignition systems and can be a 3rd harmonic of some phone/tv systems.
Propogation range can vary if the transmitter or receiver is off frequency.

Regards
Capitol

Blinky the Shark

Very nice, you snott-nosed little son of a bitch.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phil wrote:
>
>> I have a desktop PC connected to broadband Internet via a D-Link 2.4GHz
>> wireless router (DI-614+) running 802.11b. I also have a laptop computer
>> with an Intel (R) PRO/wireless 2915ABG network card running 802.11 b/g. I
>> am able to access the Internet through the wireless connection, but the
>> speed is very very slow. So, I am thinking about upgrading to a better
>> router. What hardware is recommended?

> Why do you think it's the router causing the problem? Even if it's only
> running plain vanilla 802.11b it'll hit sustained rates of 5-7 Mbs if you
> have good signal strength and signal quality. What kind of speed are you
> getting?

Keme

Phil wrote:
> I have a desktop PC connected to broadband Internet via a D-Link 2.4GHz
> wireless router (DI-614+) running 802.11b. I also have a laptop computer
> with an Intel (R) PRO/wireless 2915ABG network card running 802.11 b/g. I am
> able to access the Internet through the wireless connection, but the speed
> is very very slow. So, I am thinking about upgrading to a better router.
> What hardware is recommended?

I can think of several bottlenecks:
Broadband connection: Not all DSL modems / fiber adapters / multiplexers
(or whatever your connection is...) communicate well with each other.
Try connecting a PC with a network cable instead of going wireless. If
the connection is still slow, WLAN i not the problem, but your broadband
connection is. Contact your service provider.

Protocol switching overhead: If you simultaneously use b/g on one
computer and b-only on another, the router will be constantly switching.
The solution is to change to b-only on the router.

Undetected collisions: With 802.11g, I believe the "safe radius" is
around 15m (50ft). If several computers try to connect using 802.11g on
greater distance, you may get undetected collisions, late error
detection, with severe impact on speed. Remedy like previous point: b-only.

Unauthorized access: With WLAN networking is easy. Unfortunately, if you
take the easiest way (plug and go), it's just as easy for the guy (or
gal) next door. This may cause two kinds of trouble:
- Undesired traffic, loading down both WLAN and broadband channels.
- Increased fault rate (detected collisions, and in the worst case,
undetected collisions)
Remedy: Use at least one of these security options (listed in order of
preference, for ease of use/availability): WPA/WEP, MAC address
filtering, disable SSID broadcast, reduce power (WLAN radio transmission
power), RADIUS.

Interference: Like others have mentioned, other electronic equipment
(including other base stations in the neighborhood) may cause radio
interference. Reflecting surfaces (large metal sheets, steel reinforced
concrete walls, other metallic surfaces or grids) can do the same.
Remedies:
- Try different radio channels. That may eliminate external
interference, and change reflection interference patterns.
- Talk to the neighbours. With many WLAN routers close together, you're
bound to be in trouble. Turn down transmission power on all routers, and
set channels on neighbour routers 5 steps apart. (Ie. use channels 1, 6
and 11.) The reason for this: WLAN uses "spread spectrum". The channel
indicate the center frequency, but the frequencies used vary with
approx. 2.5 channels up and down. With a spanning of less than 5
channels, interference may occur.