Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > speedtouch 330

speedtouch 330

mark taylor

Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good. Is
there something better that will give a quicker download

Thanks Mark

old john

i think ntl determine your max download speed, but
perhaps someone knows better..J

"mark taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jKF_d.2331$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good. Is
> there something better that will give a quicker download
>
> Thanks Mark

Vanguard

"mark taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jKF_d.2331$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good.
> Is
> there something better that will give a quicker download
>
> Thanks Mark

The old Motorola Surfboard 4100 that my broadband cable provider has me
using is capable of 38Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream. Both those
are a far cry from the 4Mbps upstream and 256Kbps upstream that my ISP
gives me now, so there is PLENTY of bandwidth left for future speed
increases.

You could go lookup the specs on the Speedtouch 330 cable modem that you
use (http://www.speedtouch.com/prod330.htm). We don't know what
bandwidths (downstream & upstream) you have contracted with whomever is
your ISP. You could call them to find out.

Paul - xxx

mark taylor composed the following;:
> Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good. Is
> there something better that will give a quicker download

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's simple, works easily
once connected and gives relatively few problems, providing it's setup
correctly in the first place.

Unlike dial-up modems, ISTM that a broadband modem is pretty much a
broadband modem. They are working (certainly with NTL) at well below
their rated maximum specifications that normal useage won't harm them
and few will be [1] faster than others.

If you really want bleeding edge speed, then you won't be using NTL
anyway.

I started with an Speedtouch when we went to broadband, cheap and easy.
Now I use an integrated bbmodem with a combined wired/ wireless router
which, for our family, works better 'cos we can all connect at once.
You can still connect many users through the Speedtouch but will need an
'external' network in place.

[1] Generalisation, there are speed differences, but not enough that a
'normal' user would notice greatly0 ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!