Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Shutdown and Restart TIA

Shutdown and Restart TIA

Jedi Jonny

I've had this problem for some time now...

running Windows 2k. After installing all the software to a clean drive, the
shutdown procedure does not work as it should.
Instead of the usual "This computer can now be switched off" or whatever it
says, it just goes completely blank, as if the monitor had just been
disconected whilst still on.
This also unfortunately happens when I try to do a system restart. I have
to press the reset button every time I need to reboot the system.

Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do to get the shutdown screen
back, and also to to get the system to reboot properly ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Dave Lear

"Jedi Jonny" wrote in message
news:XGF_d.84229$(E-Mail Removed) k

> running Windows 2k. After installing all the software to a clean drive,
> the shutdown procedure does not work as it should. Instead of the usual
> "This computer can now be switched off" or whatever it says, it just goes
> completely blank, as if the monitor had just been disconected whilst still
> on. This also unfortunately happens when I try to do a system restart. I
> have to press the reset button every time I need to reboot the system.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do to get the shutdown screen
> back, and also to to get the system to reboot properly ?

A quick Google search...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=win...utdown+problem

....reveals the following Microsoft TechNet article...

How to troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315409