Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Huge amount of invisible rubbish in C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Huge amount of invisible rubbish in C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

nemo

This is a little long and involved but please bear with me . . .

All of a sudden last week, my spare space on C:\ virtually disappeared and I
had to uninstall Adobe Illustrator to get some working space back to get the
damned PC to do anything.

The only out-of-the-ordinary things I'd done just before was to download
Adobe Acrobat 6 after version 3 had disappeared of its own accord and had to
upgrade to IE6 to do this. This took ages but went well.

Shortly afterwards I started getting "You've run out of space on Drive C"
messages.

Upon checking file by file, I found that Acrobat 6 had left 46M of *.cab
files and other odds and sods in C:\WINDOWS\Cache. I deleted these, checked
that program continued to function OK, and then deleted them from the
Recycle Bin.

Then I found the real problem:

C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files showed only two ActiveXs
and a Shockwave file in its normal view, but its Properties showed 386M -
of invisible files!!

Dear Bill Gates: Why the flying f*** won't you let me see everything that's
on my computer?!! Windoze - Software straight from the Gates of Hell! There
*must* be an ulterior motive to this!

I found that IXLA Explorer - a real antique of a graphics viewer, showed the
full path and the gifs and jpgs in there and by experimentation I discovered
a way in via Start > Find > Files and Folders with the path

C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

and *.* (all files) in the 'Named' field.

This showed a few oddly-named folders and literally thousands of small
files, many of them empty (due to the FAT, they still use up 32K each
though) and a large number of wbk??????.tmp files with details of various
things I have shown preference for in my browsing and samples from a huge
number of my past Newsgroup messages, as if a spyware program had been data
mining and storing the data there where, as far as the average user might be
concerned, it would be extremely well hidden.

I might be wrong in this of course, but that's certainly what it looked
like.

It took ages to delete this lot but after getting rid of it and a few other
unused bits of rubbish, the spare space on C:\ has shot up to 646M, out of a
partition of 2G (It's a very old PC.), there have been no ill-effects and
the PC is running a little faster. So now I can put dear old Illustrator
back in and carry on trying to learn the awkward bloody thing! )

I hope this info might help others who might suffer the same trouble.

In future, I'll clear this folder out after each session. To remind me, I've
put a *.txt file on my desktop with the instructions to, but I also wonder
if anyone might know of a way of preventing the offending files being stored
there in the first place or of making them display in the normal Temporary
Internet Files window.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nemo

PS: Spybot showed up the usual hole in IE6 and Adaware didn't show up
anything significant. I last ran these two weeks ago and Spybot found seven
items and deleted them.

Mara

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:48:09 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>PS: Spybot showed up the usual hole in IE6 and Adaware didn't show up
>anything significant. I last ran these two weeks ago and Spybot found seven
>items and deleted them.

If it's a worm/trojan/virus or a new exploit, they probably won't. And if you're
running Norton, it might well *be* one of those.

"Always use a good AV in situations like these - and use more than one."

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

nemo

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:48:09 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >PS: Spybot showed up the usual hole in IE6 and Adaware didn't show up
> >anything significant. I last ran these two weeks ago and Spybot found

seven
> >items and deleted them.

> If it's a worm/trojan/virus or a new exploit, they probably won't. And if

you're
> running Norton, it might well *be* one of those.
>
> "Always use a good AV in situations like these - and use more than one."

Will do. Thanks.

So many people say Norton's crap these days, I'll try something else.

Paul - xxx

nemo composed the following;:
> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:48:09 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> PS: Spybot showed up the usual hole in IE6 and Adaware didn't show
>>> up anything significant. I last ran these two weeks ago and Spybot
>>> found

> seven
>>> items and deleted them.

>> If it's a worm/trojan/virus or a new exploit, they probably won't.
>> And if

> you're
>> running Norton, it might well *be* one of those.
>>
>> "Always use a good AV in situations like these - and use more than
>> one."
>>

> Will do. Thanks.
>
> So many people say Norton's crap these days, I'll try something else.

Norton AV is good, I like it, though it is way over large for what is
really needed. However, you do need a larger, faster, newer computer to
run it effectively.

I also run any number of other AV utilities, all freely available for
download, at different times when I cba to scan my systems, which seems
to work well. The only times I get a virus are on one system when I
'let' it get one, and when my kids catch one. .

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Mara

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:42:15 -0000, "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>nemo composed the following;:
>> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:48:09 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>> seven
>>>
>>> If it's a worm/trojan/virus or a new exploit, they probably won't.
>>> And if

>> you're
>>> running Norton, it might well *be* one of those.
>>>
>>> "Always use a good AV in situations like these - and use more than
>>> one."
>>>

>> Will do. Thanks.
>>
>> So many people say Norton's crap these days, I'll try something else.

>Norton AV is good, I like it, though it is way over large for what is
>really needed. However, you do need a larger, faster, newer computer to
>run it effectively.

I just cleaned a Dell system with 14 worms and trojans on it, one of which was
Nimda, which has been out since 2001. The machine had been happily running
Norton Antivirus 2003 since purchased. Norton should have detected it, and the
others. It did not, even when updated and after repeated runs.

My record is 194 viruses, 192 of which were still active, on a machine running
Norton.

Um, no. No, I don't think I'll recommend it.

>I also run any number of other AV utilities, all freely available for
>download, at different times when I cba to scan my systems, which seems
>to work well. The only times I get a virus are on one system when I
>'let' it get one, and when my kids catch one. .

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

TJ

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:42:15 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> nemo composed the following;:
>>> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> seven

>>> you're

>>> Will do. Thanks.
>>>
>>> So many people say Norton's crap these days, I'll try something
>>> else.

>> Norton AV is good, I like it, though it is way over large for what is
>> really needed. However, you do need a larger, faster, newer
>> computer to run it effectively.

> I just cleaned a Dell system with 14 worms and trojans on it, one of
> which was Nimda, which has been out since 2001. The machine had been
> happily running Norton Antivirus 2003 since purchased. Norton should
> have detected it, and the others. It did not, even when updated and
> after repeated runs.
>
> My record is 194 viruses, 192 of which were still active, on a
> machine running Norton.
>
> Um, no. No, I don't think I'll recommend it.

And I'll bet it took you about as long (or longer) to *completely* rid the
machine of everything Norton, than it did to clean up all the crap it
missed. What a piece of **** that (Norton) thing has become over the years.
AOL's "uninstaller" is the worst .... But Norton's is a close second.

To the OP:
If by, "the usual hole in IE6" you're referring to the misreported 'DSO
Exploit' thing? You're not running an up-to-date version of Spybot S&D.
That's a bug that's been fixed. Look for version 1.3.1TX. And while you're
at it? Make sure you have the *latest* versions of Ad-Aware and Spyware
Blaster installed and UPDATED as well.

Paul - xxx

Mara composed the following;:

> I just cleaned a Dell system with 14 worms and trojans on it, one of
> which was Nimda, which has been out since 2001. The machine had been
> happily running Norton Antivirus 2003 since purchased. Norton should
> have detected it, and the others. It did not, even when updated and
> after repeated runs.

Heheheh, I can believe it, unfortunately. But then, I've never found
any one AV, other than the connection socket, that was totally
infallible ...

Closest was probably CA before it went all corporate ...

> My record is 194 viruses, 192 of which were still active, on a
> machine running Norton.
>
> Um, no. No, I don't think I'll recommend it.

It seems to work for me.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

TJ

Paul - xxx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mara composed the following;:
>
>> I just cleaned a Dell system with 14 worms and trojans on it, one of
>> which was Nimda, which has been out since 2001. The machine had been
>> happily running Norton Antivirus 2003 since purchased. Norton should
>> have detected it, and the others. It did not, even when updated and
>> after repeated runs.

> Heheheh, I can believe it, unfortunately. But then, I've never found
> any one AV, other than the connection socket, that was totally
> infallible ...
>
> Closest was probably CA before it went all corporate ...
>
>> My record is 194 viruses, 192 of which were still active, on a
>> machine running Norton.
>>
>> Um, no. No, I don't think I'll recommend it.

> It seems to work for me.

"Seems" being the operative word.

Just for fun. Try *completely* uninstalling it. Then let us know how much
you like it.

Paul - xxx

TJ composed the following;:
> Paul - xxx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Mara composed the following;:
>>
>>> I just cleaned a Dell system with 14 worms and trojans on it, one of
>>> which was Nimda, which has been out since 2001. The machine had been
>>> happily running Norton Antivirus 2003 since purchased. Norton should
>>> have detected it, and the others. It did not, even when updated and
>>> after repeated runs.

>> Heheheh, I can believe it, unfortunately. But then, I've never found
>> any one AV, other than the connection socket, that was totally
>> infallible ...
>>
>> Closest was probably CA before it went all corporate ...
>>
>>> My record is 194 viruses, 192 of which were still active, on a
>>> machine running Norton.
>>>
>>> Um, no. No, I don't think I'll recommend it.

>> It seems to work for me.

> "Seems" being the operative word.
>
> Just for fun. Try *completely* uninstalling it. Then let us know
> how much you like it.

I've done it .. not bad.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Plato

nemo wrote:

> unused bits of rubbish, the spare space on C:\ has shot up to 646M, out of a
> partition of 2G (It's a very old PC.), there have been no ill-effects and

You dont have a software problem. You have a hardware problem. A 2 gig
HDD is the problem.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/