Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting old laptop

Connecting old laptop

Livewire

I've got an old laptop which is still viable enough to use for
wordprocessing etc. But the big problem is getting info in and out and
onto my desktop computer.

The lappy has a floppy drive but only a huge external CD Rom.

It has parallel and serial ports. It has two PCIMA ports.

My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

Blinky the Shark

Livewire wrote:

> I've got an old laptop which is still viable enough to use for
> wordprocessing etc. But the big problem is getting info in and out and
> onto my desktop computer.

> The lappy has a floppy drive but only a huge external CD Rom.

> It has parallel and serial ports. It has two PCIMA ports.

> My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
> But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
> solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

NICs for each and a crossover Ethernet cable = LAN

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Dr. Bill

Livewire wrote:
> I've got an old laptop which is still viable enough to use for
> wordprocessing etc. But the big problem is getting info in and out and
> onto my desktop computer.
>
> The lappy has a floppy drive but only a huge external CD Rom.
>
> It has parallel and serial ports. It has two PCIMA ports.
>
> My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link
> cable. But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very
> cheap -- solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

parallel <-> parallel, bi-directional cable.

Plato

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> > My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
> > But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
> > solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

> NICs for each and a crossover Ethernet cable = LAN

Yeah why not that will come in handy in the future anyway, but I'd still
go for the hub/switch/router and standard cables.

Blinky the Shark

Plato wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> > My main computer doesn't have a serial port so I can't use a link cable.
>> > But is there, for eg, a serial-to-USB cable, or a -- very cheap --
>> > solution involving the PCMIS port? Or another idea?

>> NICs for each and a crossover Ethernet cable = LAN

> Yeah why not that will come in handy in the future anyway, but I'd still
> go for the hub/switch/router and standard cables.

I was considering OP's request for "very cheap".