Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Will this work?

Will this work?

Bodger

I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
web page to practice web design on.
Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
requirements.
After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
teapot.!
What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

Evan Platt

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Bodger"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
>internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
>web page to practice web design on.
> Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
>larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
>restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
> I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
>gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
>requirements.
> After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
>available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
>the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
>teapot.!
> What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
>GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
>Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

Depends on how China is blocked, but chances are they still won't be
able to access the site.

Blinky the Shark

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Bodger"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
>>internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
>>web page to practice web design on.
>> Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
>>larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
>>restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
>> I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
>>gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
>>requirements.
>> After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
>>available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
>>the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
>>teapot.!
>> What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
>>GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
>>Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

> Depends on how China is blocked, but chances are they still won't be
> able to access the site.

I think they tend to block any countries where the dominant culture has
evolved to the level of anything after...oh, perhaps 1974.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Bodger

> Depends on how China is blocked, but chances are they still won't be
> able to access the site.

Just to correct one misnomer - China isnt blocked - they are doing the
netblocking to my web host.

Tom - www.tditcorp.com

Bodger wrote:
> I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
> internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
> web page to practice web design on.
> Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
> larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
> restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
> I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
> gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
> requirements.
> After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
> available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
> the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
> teapot.!
> What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
> GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
> Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

Set up a colo in China. Or Taiwan might work.

--
http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
way!

Are you with Powweb? THe deal you describe sounds like them.

If your with powweb this forum article maybe of intrest:
http://forums.powweb.com/showthread....ighlight=china

~DaN

Bodger wrote:
> I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via the
> internet and my general computer skills. As a tryout I used my free 50 Meg
> web page to practice web design on.
> Anyway to cut a long story short - my idea took off and I soon needed a
> larger site than the one BT had given me and didn't suffer from the
> restrictions over what type of file could be stored there.
> I found a site in the US that registered my domain (.com) for free and
> gave me 2 Gig storage and 5 Gig a day bandwidth - more than enough for my
> requirements.
> After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
> available in China - where most of my potential customers are from. So at
> the present time my brand new web site is as about as useful as a chocolate
> teapot.!
> What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk address in
> GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US site, would the
> Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

TJ

<DaN> wrote:

Something twice.

--
It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.
Leslie Gore

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Bodger wrote:
> I am a BT customer and I had an idea how I might earn some money via
> the internet and my general computer skills.

> After a couple of days of going on line I learnt that my site wasn't
> available in China - where most of my potential customers are from.

> ....What I was wondering was if registered my domain @ a .co.uk
> address in GB and I had a redirect on it so that it pointed to my US
> site, would the Chinese now be able to see the US hosted site?

Without getting into the whole questionable practices of what your "job
offering" is, in answer to your question - It depends on WHY China can;t
view it.

Could it be because the government there is filtering content like
crazy, in which case you're spinning your wheels.

Hmm! Spinning Wheel! Now THERE'S a song I haven't heard in a long time!
Time to pull out the albums!

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

Bodger

Thank you,
Many thanks for those of you that submitted your thoughts on this subject -
it seems like your right - when the Chinese say your blocked - they mean it
and up goes the Great Firewall of China!

I even thought of being hosted in China but even then there is no guarentee
that they still will not block me!. Oh well back to the drawing board.

yours

Bodger

www.bodgers-lair.com