Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > viruses

viruses

++ killinchy ++

I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
machine was clean.

Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
"Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
and it found 45 virusues.

Any comments?

John

SgtMinor

++ killinchy ++ wrote:
> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
> machine was clean.
>
> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
> and it found 45 virusues.
>
> Any comments?
>
> John

Anyone who has 45+ viruses on his machine should seriously consider
taking a computer course or two.

DC

++ killinchy ++ wrote:
> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
> machine was clean.

> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
> and it found 45 virusues.

> Any comments?

That's a lot of viruses.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

Walter Mautner

++ killinchy ++ wrote:

> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
> machine was clean.
>
> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
> and it found 45 virusues.
>
> Any comments?

Do you really mean 45 viruses or just 45 "infected" files, maybe most of
them inside your IE cache?
A good practice is to use firefox instead, after trashing the IE cache.
Btw., there are javascripts that still can infect IE even if it's not used
for browsing. Which makes the next windows update a new kind of
adventure ;-/
Alternative: use linux.

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

neville

If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
Simple.
"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ++ killinchy ++ wrote:
>> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
>> machine was clean.
>>
>> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
>> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F
>> Prot) and it found 45 virusues.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> John

> Anyone who has 45+ viruses on his machine should seriously consider taking
> a computer course or two.

Tibby

"neville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1111138763.2d069eb6f183e4a99edf5bb9bc0f674c@t eranews...
> If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
> Simple.
> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ++ killinchy ++ wrote:
> >> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours -

the
> >> machine was clean.
> >>
> >> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
> >> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F
> >> Prot) and it found 45 virusues.
> >>
> >> Any comments?
> >>
> >> John

> > Anyone who has 45+ viruses on his machine should seriously consider

taking
> > a computer course or two.

Give it a rest Andrew...oops, sorry "neville"

°Mike°

That's not at all surprising, since AVG is a pile of poo.
Although, as somebody else pointed out, I suspect that
you mean 45 infected files, and not 45 separate viruses.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:06:16 GMT, in
<I3o_d.711451$8l.558465@pd7tw1no>
++ killinchy ++ scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Walter Mautner

neville wrote:

> If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
> Simple.

And a dangerous misbelief. How do you think, AOL can extract viruses out of
ciphered or "specially packed" executables you download from wherever, even
when using their maybe scanning proxy, or get via email, even through a
scanning mailserver? How can they block a java applet which by itself is no
virus at all, from downloading either good or bad stuff, but afterwards
using a direct unmonitored port to do so? No, AOL cannot block everything
but proxied connections, the customers would trash them for not allowing
p2p and things like ssl.
You try to fool people here, actually spreading one of the most hazardous
viruses, called "gullibility virus". Or you are some employee of AOHell?

Walter Mautner wrote:
> neville wrote:

>> If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
>> Simple.

> And a dangerous misbelief. How do you think, AOL can extract viruses out of
> ciphered or "specially packed" executables you download from wherever, even
> when using their maybe scanning proxy, or get via email, even through a
> scanning mailserver? How can they block a java applet which by itself is no
> virus at all, from downloading either good or bad stuff, but afterwards
> using a direct unmonitored port to do so? No, AOL cannot block everything
> but proxied connections, the customers would trash them for not allowing
> p2p and things like ssl.
> You try to fool people here, actually spreading one of the most hazardous
> viruses, called "gullibility virus". Or you are some employee of AOHell?

Spit the hook, Walter.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

William Chia

You can try to boot your computer in safe mode and run a virus scan, this is
because some virus are running the memory when you are scanning in Windows
normal mode.

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ++ killinchy ++ wrote:
>> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
>> machine was clean.
>>
>> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
>> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F
>> Prot) and it found 45 virusues.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> John

> Anyone who has 45+ viruses on his machine should seriously consider taking
> a computer course or two.

Can Viruses infect .AVI files??? Smiley Computer Support 109 05-17-2011 02:00 PM
Will Mozilla stop viruses? P T Firefox 8 10-05-2004 12:55 AM
OT: Kerpal is now authoring viruses ! Paul Lynch MCSE 2 06-04-2004 07:02 PM
Re: spam and viruses Dave Computer Support 5 07-01-2003 10:21 PM
Re: spam and viruses Brian H¹© Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments