Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Icon maker

Reply
Thread Tools

Icon maker

 
 
ToyalP2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
Hi
Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
into an icon?
I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
convert from graphics.
THANKS
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
IrfanView (use "Save As")
http://www.irfanview.com/


On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:45:29 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
ToyalP2 scrawled:

>Hi
>Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
>into an icon?
>I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
>convert from graphics.
>THANKS


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dr. Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
ToyalP2 wrote:
> Hi
> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or
> .gif into an icon?
> I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
> convert from graphics.
> THANKS


Microangelo
http://www.microangelo.us/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Lear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
"ToyalP2" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg
> or .gif into an icon? I have a coupple of programs to make icons from
> scratch but they won't convert from graphics.


How about IconEditPro... http://www.iconedit.com/

<quote>

IconEdit Pro is a very powerful and easy to use icon editor and browser for
Windows 95/98/NT. With this icon editor you are able to create icons
(Windows/Unix/Linux), cursors, animated cursors, bitmaps and even wireless
bitmaps (WBMP) for your WAP-Phone with up to 96x96 pixel and 256 colors.

Effective tools like the 'Shadow Function' (lets you create 3D effects very
easily), radial, free rotatable linear and conical gradations, antialiasing,
contrast control, brightness/saturation control, raise/inset etc., can
assist you a lot.

Icons may be extracted from EXE and DLL files and also cut out of bitmaps
(BMP, JPG, GIF) or directly out of the Windows screen.

Icons may be stored in an icon resource (a file that may contain multiple
icons with different sizes and colors) which helps you save a lot of space
on your hard disk.

All icons in a directory, an icon resource or an EXE/DLL file are displayed
and may be printed with or without their filenames. The icons even may be
printed in variable sizes.

<end quote>


 
Reply With Quote
 
MJP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005

"ToyalP2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
> into an icon?
> I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
> convert from graphics.
> THANKS


Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.


MJP


 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MJP scrawled:

>
>"ToyalP2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi
>> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
>> into an icon?
>> I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
>> convert from graphics.
>> THANKS

>
>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.


Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
MJP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost...
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> MJP scrawled:
>
>>
>>"ToyalP2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hi
>>> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
>>> into an icon?
>>> I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
>>> convert from graphics.
>>> THANKS

>>
>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

>
> Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


Try it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Lear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
"°Mike°" wrote in message news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost

>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

> Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.


It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
Dave Lear wrote:

> "°Mike°" wrote in message news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost
>
>
>>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

>>
>>Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

>
>
> It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.
>
>


I just got a 1.37MB icon from an 800 x 600, 24-bit colour image
 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:01:10 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MJP scrawled:

>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost...
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> MJP scrawled:


<snip>

>>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

>>
>> Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

>
>Try it.


Not that I needed to, but I did try it, anyway. As I said, changing
the file extension does NOT change the format of the file; it
remains a bitmap file.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Modern Stand Alone Photo Image Organizer/Album Maker/Slide Show Maker JOHNCHAP2 Digital Photography 3 02-05-2013 11:54 PM
Video card does not meet minimum requirments for windows dvd maker and movie maker Travis Computer Information 1 10-01-2006 12:10 AM
Icon Maker aretired Computer Support 5 11-08-2005 09:40 PM
how to tell display adapter maker when no maker listed on it effi Computer Information 3 10-26-2004 08:43 AM
app.rc resource's icon to .net Icon Miro Durcik ASP .Net 0 10-09-2004 12:44 AM



Advertisments