Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Still not receiving email

Still not receiving email

victoriapritchard

We are still not receiiving e-mail, although we know it is being sent. We
have tried to report fault through the www.l7 kensington.net connection but
no response. We are getting a bit desperate now (NB a test message to
ourselves from our home computer comes back OK)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

victoriapritchard wrote:

> We are still not receiiving e-mail, although we know it is being sent. We
> have tried to report fault through the www.l7 kensington.net connection but
> no response. We are getting a bit desperate now (NB a test message to
> ourselves from our home computer comes back OK)

Contact your ISP's support team by phone.

Mike Easter

victoriapritchard wrote:
> We are still not receiiving e-mail, although we know it is being
> sent. We have tried to report fault through the www.l7
> kensington.net connection but no response. We are getting a bit
> desperate now (NB a test message to ourselves from our home computer
> comes back OK)

There's a kensington.net -- no such thing as l7kensington.net as in L as
in Lima or llama seven kensington dot net.

Where 'no such thing' means l7kensington.net doesn't presently resolve;
but the domainname is registered.

That is, if I were to try to mail to any http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) -- I
wouldn't be successful right now because l7kensington.net is supposed to
have the nameservers NS1.MERSINET.CO.UK and NS0. - but the gtld servers
don't know that.

If the gtld servers don't know about the nameservice, then when anyone
tries to 'connect' to the MX - the mail transfer agent - for
l7kensington.net to send any username there any mail, nothing will
happen.

03/17/05 02:20:05 dns L7Kensington.net
No DNS for this address
(host doesn't exist)

03/17/05 02:37:58 dns l7kensington.net
No DNS for this address
(host doesn't exist)

<time in PST -0800 UTC>

Domain Name: L7KENSINGTON.NET
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
Name Server: NS1.MERSINET.CO.UK = 217.14.177.3
Name Server: NS0.MERSINET.CO.UK = 217.14.177.2

For a 'picture' of the dns problem, see this:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...kensington.net DNS
Report for l7kensington.net

.... which presently sez [ERROR: The parent servers say that the domain
l7kensington.net does not exist.]

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> victoriapritchard wrote:
>> (NB a test message to ourselves from our home computer
>> comes back OK)

> l7kensington.net doesn't presently
> resolve;

> Name Server: NS1.MERSINET.CO.UK = 217.14.177.3
> Name Server: NS0.MERSINET.CO.UK = 217.14.177.2

Presumably the reason you are able to send yourselves a message is
because if the nameservice is queried directly, which you could do by
querying the mersinet nameservice, you can get a resolution for the MX
and A of the domainname:

If I use a tool to query the mersinet nameservice, I get a resolution:

--- 03/17/05 03:10:26 Pacific Standard Time
--- DNS lookup for "l7kensington.net", please wait...
--- contacting nameserver: 217.14.177.3 [217.14.177.3]

l7kensington.net MX 100 mail.l7kensington.net
mail.l7kensington.net A 217.14.177.99

--- DNS Lookup completed

So, once I know how to contact mail.l7kensington.net at 217.14.177.99 I
could sender a username a mail there by establishing an smtp transaction
with the server at that IP.

The server at that IP is calling itself:

220 rs5.linix.co.uk ESMTP Exim 4.41 Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:14:24 +0000

--
Mike Easter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>>victoriapritchard wrote:
>>
>>> (NB a test message to ourselves from our home computer
>>>comes back OK)

>>l7kensington.net doesn't presently
>>resolve;

>> Name Server: NS1.MERSINET.CO.UK = 217.14.177.3
>> Name Server: NS0.MERSINET.CO.UK = 217.14.177.2

> Presumably the reason you are able to send yourselves a message is
> because if the nameservice is queried directly, which you could do by
> querying the mersinet nameservice, you can get a resolution for the MX
> and A of the domainname:
>
> If I use a tool to query the mersinet nameservice, I get a resolution:
>
> --- 03/17/05 03:10:26 Pacific Standard Time
> --- DNS lookup for "l7kensington.net", please wait...
> --- contacting nameserver: 217.14.177.3 [217.14.177.3]
>
> l7kensington.net MX 100 mail.l7kensington.net
> mail.l7kensington.net A 217.14.177.99
>
> --- DNS Lookup completed
>
> So, once I know how to contact mail.l7kensington.net at 217.14.177.99 I
> could sender a username a mail there by establishing an smtp transaction
> with the server at that IP.
>
> The server at that IP is calling itself:
>
> 220 rs5.linix.co.uk ESMTP Exim 4.41 Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:14:24 +0000

Could you go into more detail for the OP, I think she needs more 'splaining.

Mike Easter

Rgr wrote:
> Could you go into more detail for the OP, I think she needs more
> 'splaining.

Heh. You know how that works; you get into a problem that is kinda fun
to take apart and you just keep workin' on it.

Also, sometimes the tech someone gets on the 'phone doesn't understand
why s/he can send a test mail and get it, but s/he can't get mail from
anyone else. Troubleshooting "I don't seem to be getting much mail
these days" isn't as clear as it might seem when you can send yourself
one and get it.

BTW l7kensington.net still doesn't resolve -- so it is /some/ kind of
problem even if she called the tech. There's been no improvement.

I don't know what your experience has been with your provider's tech
support. EL hasn't done so well with their .in and .ph outsourcing
according to the people talking/complaining in EL support groups..

--
Mike Easter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Mike Easter wrote:

> I don't know what your experience has been with your provider's tech
> support. EL hasn't done so well with their .in and .ph outsourcing
> according to the people talking/complaining in EL support groups..

The tech support people with my provider are absolute geniuses.

Not Receiving Email Kevin Cisco 3 11-07-2006 03:39 PM
still not receiving emails! victoriapritchard Computer Support 6 03-20-2005 02:28 PM
unable to send emails but still receiving anne.quinn5 Computer Support 8 09-04-2004 07:34 PM
not receiving email,is anything wrong? =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= Computer Support 3 07-28-2004 10:32 PM
Not receiving email Pamela O'Flattery Computer Support 3 06-05-2004 03:00 PM

Advertisments