Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New TOS - yet another reason to hate AOL

New TOS - yet another reason to hate AOL

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:22:05 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows
|> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775649,00.asp
|>
|> America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM
|> instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise
|> the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.

Follow up:
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/14...&tid=95&tid=17
or
http://tinyurl.com/4shaw

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:34:37 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> The original article I posted the link for - is PREFACED by an update due to
|> AOL's reply to that news story... however the basis of the first article
|> remains unchanged by AOL's reply. IMHO

Ya, I didn't even read the link, I've been using it as a sig for the
last few days - so miss'd the preface.

Might wanna to fix your clock

|> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

|> AIM
|> raise
|> >
|> > Follow up:
|> >
|> http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/14...&tid=95&tid=17
|> > or
|> > http://tinyurl.com/4shaw
|> >

|> > --

Steve P

Check your PC is set to the correct timezone?

"FatBobRoundPants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My pc clock was behind about 3 min, updated to be ahead about 90 sec.
> This
> pc always had slightly slow clock, I adjust about every two-three months.
> know my posts show up at odd times. I wrote comcast and giganews over a
> week
> ago, they gave me ticket numbers, but I guess it is when they get around
> it.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> due to

> article
>>
>> Ya, I didn't even read the link, I've been using it as a sig for the
>> last few days - so miss'd the preface.
>>
>> Might wanna to fix your clock

> its
>> sure

> http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/14...&tid=95&tid=17

>> --

FatBobRoundPants

AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows

America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM
instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise
the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.

The revamped terms of service, which apply only to users who downloaded the
free AIM software on or after Feb. 5, 2004, gives AOL the right to
"reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote" all content
distributed across the chat network by users.

"You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve
uses of the content or to be compensated for any such uses," according to
the AIM terms-of-service

Just FYI
bOb

FatBobRoundPants

The original article I posted the link for - is PREFACED by an update due to
AOL's reply to that news story... however the basis of the first article
remains unchanged by AOL's reply. IMHO

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:22:05 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |> AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows
> |> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775649,00.asp
> |>
> |> America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its

AIM
> |> instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to

raise
> |> the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.
>
> Follow up:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/14...&tid=95&tid=17
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/4shaw

SgtMinor

FatBobRoundPants wrote:
> AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows
>
> America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM
> instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise
> the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.
>
> The revamped terms of service, which apply only to users who downloaded the
> free AIM software on or after Feb. 5, 2004, gives AOL the right to
> "reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote" all content
> distributed across the chat network by users.
>
> "You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve
> uses of the content or to be compensated for any such uses," according to
> the AIM terms-of-service
>

> Just FYI
> bOb

Cheese and rice, man, it's AOL. I wonder how many people are upset
about this yet blithely install Microsoft crap like Media Player without
reading the EULA.

BTW, is this your website: http://www.sothere.com/ ?

FatBobRoundPants

My pc clock was behind about 3 min, updated to be ahead about 90 sec. This
pc always had slightly slow clock, I adjust about every two-three months. I
know my posts show up at odd times. I wrote comcast and giganews over a week
ago, they gave me ticket numbers, but I guess it is when they get around to
it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:34:37 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |> The original article I posted the link for - is PREFACED by an update

due to
> |> AOL's reply to that news story... however the basis of the first

article
> |> remains unchanged by AOL's reply. IMHO
>
> Ya, I didn't even read the link, I've been using it as a sig for the
> last few days - so miss'd the preface.
>
> Might wanna to fix your clock
>
> |> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

its
> |> AIM

> |> raise

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/14...&tid=95&tid=17

Dave Lear

"SgtMinor" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> BTW, is this your website: http://www.sothere.com/ ?

Doubt it...
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois....e.com&email=on

Maybe a lesson in munging etiquette is called for?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:47:39 -0500, SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Cheese and rice, man, it's AOL. I wonder how many people are upset
|> about this yet blithely install Microsoft crap like Media Player without
|> reading the EULA.

"Is anyone reading this? PC Pitstop offered a financial incentive in its
EULA, and it took four months before anyone responded."
http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/eula.asp

Guy won a thousand bucks just reading a EULA, proving somebody reads em

Wizard

Munging etiquette? BWAHAHAHAHHAHA! Do you make this ****ing **** up just so
you can see your name in the newsgroup, you ****ing ****?