Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > lsass.exe - System Error on Windows XP

lsass.exe - System Error on Windows XP

suzettepex@yahoo.com

Hi, I've been receiving a system error everytime I startup my computer
on Windows XP. The dialog box message is "lsass.exe - System Error.
Object name not found". The system then automatically restarts. I could
not do anything. This also happens even if I tried the other "F8"
startup options (ie. Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration).

The system runs with Windows XP Pro on "F" partition; file system is
NTFS. There's also another OS in "C" partition, with FAT32 file system,
which runs normally and not affected by the lsass.exe infection.

Initial search on the Internet about the lsass.exe error exposed me to
the Sasser Worm. I was able to download some Sasser worm removal tools
from the Internet, but I could not run them because everytime I boot
from a Floppy, the C drive is only visible (recall: my Win XP is on F
drive).

Can anyone help me on how I could recover my system from this lsass.exe
infection? There's another thing that I haven't tried yet, that is to
bootup from a Windows XP CD. But what could be done if I bootup from
the CD? Will I be able to access the NTFS "F" partition? Will there be
an option in the CD to repair the WinXP OS but also recover all the
files from the infected drive? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance!

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, I've been receiving a system error everytime I startup my computer
> on Windows XP. The dialog box message is "lsass.exe - System Error.
> Object name not found". The system then automatically restarts. I could
> not do anything. This also happens even if I tried the other "F8"
> startup options (ie. Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration).
>
> The system runs with Windows XP Pro on "F" partition; file system is
> NTFS. There's also another OS in "C" partition, with FAT32 file system,
> which runs normally and not affected by the lsass.exe infection.
>
> Initial search on the Internet about the lsass.exe error exposed me to
> the Sasser Worm. I was able to download some Sasser worm removal tools
> from the Internet, but I could not run them because everytime I boot
> from a Floppy, the C drive is only visible (recall: my Win XP is on F
> drive).
>
> Can anyone help me on how I could recover my system from this lsass.exe
> infection? There's another thing that I haven't tried yet, that is to
> bootup from a Windows XP CD. But what could be done if I bootup from
> the CD? Will I be able to access the NTFS "F" partition? Will there be
> an option in the CD to repair the WinXP OS but also recover all the
> files from the infected drive? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
> in advance!

Have you tried booting into SAFE MODE? Press F8 over and over again right
after the memory test. Then run the Sasser removal tools.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> Hi, I've been receiving a system error everytime I startup my computer
> on Windows XP. The dialog box message is "lsass.exe - System Error.
> Object name not found". The system then automatically restarts. I could
> not do anything. This also happens even if I tried the other "F8"
> startup options (ie. Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration).
>
> The system runs with Windows XP Pro on "F" partition; file system is
> NTFS. There's also another OS in "C" partition, with FAT32 file system,
> which runs normally and not affected by the lsass.exe infection.
>
> Initial search on the Internet about the lsass.exe error exposed me to
> the Sasser Worm. I was able to download some Sasser worm removal tools
> from the Internet, but I could not run them because everytime I boot
> from a Floppy, the C drive is only visible (recall: my Win XP is on F
> drive).
>
> Can anyone help me on how I could recover my system from this lsass.exe
> infection? There's another thing that I haven't tried yet, that is to
> bootup from a Windows XP CD. But what could be done if I bootup from
> the CD? Will I be able to access the NTFS "F" partition? Will there be
> an option in the CD to repair the WinXP OS but also recover all the
> files from the infected drive? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
> in advance!

Look about 2/3 of the way down the page at what to do if you are unable
to run the machine long enough to run removal tools:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T3AE52E28

WormWood

"Toolman Tim" wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
The system then automatically rest. artsI could
>> not do anything. This also happens even if I tried the other "F8"
>> startup options (ie. Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration).

<snip>

> Have you tried booting into SAFE MODE? Press F8 over and over again
> right after the memory test. Then run the Sasser removal tools.

heh....<ahem> <aher> Gotcha, Mr. Toolsmans...

Toolman Tim

"WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Toolman Tim" wrote:
> >
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <snip>
> The system then automatically rest. artsI could
>>> not do anything. This also happens even if I tried the other "F8"
>>> startup options (ie. Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration).
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> Have you tried booting into SAFE MODE? Press F8 over and over again right
>> after the memory test. Then run the Sasser removal tools.
>>

> heh....<ahem> <aher> Gotcha, Mr. Toolsmans...

<g> sorry ... reading too fast again ;o)

neville

I got sasser so i took it back tothe shop and they got rid of it.
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi, I've been receiving a system error everytime I startup my computer
> > on Windows XP. The dialog box message is "lsass.exe - System Error.
> > Object name not found". The system then automatically restarts. I could
> > not do anything. This also happens even if I tried the other "F8"
> > startup options (ie. Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration).
> >
> > The system runs with Windows XP Pro on "F" partition; file system is
> > NTFS. There's also another OS in "C" partition, with FAT32 file system,
> > which runs normally and not affected by the lsass.exe infection.
> >
> > Initial search on the Internet about the lsass.exe error exposed me to
> > the Sasser Worm. I was able to download some Sasser worm removal tools
> > from the Internet, but I could not run them because everytime I boot
> > from a Floppy, the C drive is only visible (recall: my Win XP is on F
> > drive).
> >
> > Can anyone help me on how I could recover my system from this lsass.exe
> > infection? There's another thing that I haven't tried yet, that is to
> > bootup from a Windows XP CD. But what could be done if I bootup from
> > the CD? Will I be able to access the NTFS "F" partition? Will there be
> > an option in the CD to repair the WinXP OS but also recover all the
> > files from the infected drive? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
> > in advance!

> Look about 2/3 of the way down the page at what to do if you are unable
> to run the machine long enough to run removal tools:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T3AE52E28

suzette

Thanks! I just performed parallel installation of Windows. It worked! I
then acquired ownership of the protected folders in Documents and
Settings.

lizzzy lizzzy is offline
Junior Member

how do you perform a parallel installation of windows... i just got this stupid virus and i want it gone...thanks...