Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Adding a external usb drive to network as network storage?

Adding a external usb drive to network as network storage?

Ed

Can anone reccomend , would like it assigned a ip by router if
possible.

Thanks

Ed

Toolman Tim

"Ed" <ed@not_a_real_email_address.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anone reccomend , would like it assigned a ip by router if
> possible.
>
> Thanks

What kind of server is this going on? Routers don't have USB. How would you
plug it in? Most network storage is done in a box with ethernet connections,
which do the IP thing you want.

If you plug the USB drive into your server and share it, your other users
have access to it. You don't need any special USB unit, any would work.

Dave Lear

"Ed" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Can anone reccomend , would like it assigned a ip by router if
> possible.

Something like this... http://www.linksys.com/hdd/

none

Ed wrote:
> Can anone reccomend , would like it assigned a ip by router if
> possible.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

Only after you sober up.
--
Parko: spelled backwards is...
Ya gotta larf.

jda^fx

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:19:22 -0500, Ed wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Can anone reccomend , would like it assigned a ip by router if
> possible.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

I saw a Netgear thing once wich was pretty cool. Two harddisks, could
set up to either mirror or just be larger. Had netname as well, so it
would function both in DHCP invironment with \\netname\ and with
assigned IP, had ftp server to turn on or off so it could be used in
multible OS invironments. Could be used as storage or scheduled
backup.
--
jda^fx

Ed

I dont think you get it.
If I gave a USB drive and I want to connect it to a network, I would
use a type of usb to ethernet adapter that would receive ip thru dhcp
and be on the network wirelessly.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:28:52 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ed" <ed@not_a_real_email_address.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Can anone reccomend , would like it assigned a ip by router if
>> possible.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>What kind of server is this going on? Routers don't have USB. How would you
>plug it in? Most network storage is done in a box with ethernet connections,
>which do the IP thing you want.
>
>If you plug the USB drive into your server and share it, your other users
>have access to it. You don't need any special USB unit, any would work.

Ed

Ill check it out thanks

Ed