Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Norton Anti-Virus problem

Norton Anti-Virus problem

Fred Smith

Hi - I keep the updates coming in for my Norton Anti-Virus - it is shown
as 2002 ver 9.05.15, I have a paid subscription.

A recent update has given me the following problem:
I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are both
enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software to my PC as
standard good practice. However Norton now interrupts every 15 secs to
tell me I have switched it off and can muck up the installation process.

This is a pain and I would be grateful if someone knows of a switch.

Thanks
--
Ken
This email address is valid for this month only

Dave Lear

"Fred Smith" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
> both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
> to my PC as standard good practice.

I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
this new software from was infected with a virus?

JPB

Dave Lear wrote:

> "Fred Smith" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
>> both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
>> to my PC as standard good practice.

> I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
> installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
> this new software from was infected with a virus?

It's usually good practice to turn off all possible background processes
when installing new software, or so one is usually taught when using
Windows. Anti-virus software is particularly liable to cause problems, I'd
have thought, due to the fact that it may monitor what's going on, and
either object to it or simply cause problems because it's trying to scan
what's happening at a time when lots of stuff is being moved about and
processed.

One would hope that when installing new software from original media any
danger of viruses being introduced *should* be minimal; downloaded software
could be more dangerous, I suppose, depending on where you got it from.
Fortunately I no longer require anti-virus software, so I don't care much
about it any more.

--
JPB

Dave Lear

"JPB" wrote in message news:d11nme$p4q$1$(E-Mail Removed)

> It's usually good practice to turn off all possible background
> processes when installing new software, or so one is usually
> taught when using Windows.

Hmm... having worked in IT for around a decade and a half (since DOS, i.e.
pre-Windows days) it's not until recently that I've seen advice about
disabling anti-virus to install software. I think it's a bad idea purely for
the reason that I want to know what I'm installing isn't infected. I've
never had an install fail because of anti-virus software running.

Atlas Shrugged

Some anti virus software will detect executable files as viruses and won't
let you download them. They also slow the download process down if the
executable is very large and this may cause an interruption in the download
process. The best thing to do it to try it with the protection on. If
there is a problem turn it off.

"Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Fred Smith" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
>> both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
>> to my PC as standard good practice.

> I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
> installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
> this new software from was infected with a virus?

Walter Mautner

JPB wrote:

> Dave Lear wrote:
>
>> "Fred Smith" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>>> I turn off this anti virus and the ZoneAlarm fire wall (they are
>>> both enabled to auto restart when I re-boot) when I add software
>>> to my PC as standard good practice.

>> I wasn't aware that is was good practice to disable your anti-virus when
>> installing new software. What would happen if the media you're installing
>> this new software from was infected with a virus?

Well, then your pc (and you) might suffer.
However, original media sold a thousand times (the _pressed_ cds) most
probably are free of known/detectable viruses. Other install media may be
checked in advanced though not all exec packers are recognized by the
antivirus programs, therefore it is always a good idea to first try install
with running on-access-scanner modules. I rarely ever had difficulties
besides a slow install.

> It's usually good practice to turn off all possible background processes
> when installing new software, or so one is usually taught when using
> Windows. Anti-virus software is particularly liable to cause problems, I'd

Even more viruses are known to cause problems

> from. Fortunately I no longer require anti-virus software, so I don't care
> much about it any more.

Hehe, I see we are in the same boat
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Fred Smith

Thanks for all the useful comment, I had never considered the merits of
keeping the AV on, especially as most major s/w packages recommend "all
background stuff off". The point re trying to install with it on is well
made because that is just what I have had to do recently. It is just
that I dislike s/w telling me what to do, ie "switch me on again or I
will drive you nuts by interrupting". So, OK I can leave it on, BUT has
no one a tip to turn it off regardless of the pros and cons?

Thanks

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Walter Mautner
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes