Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is AVAST slowing me down?

Is AVAST slowing me down?

Bud Light

Noticed for the last few weeks that my system has been running slower.
Getting alot of "Program not Responding" messages for IE and Outlook.
Webpages seem to open slower or hang at times before opening. AVG did find
a trojan one time but that's been taken care of. Everything seemed to
happen after installing AVAST. Does AVAST slow you down cause if it does
I'm thinking of removing it. Thanks.

kenny

How fast is your CPU and how much ram do you have?

Kenny

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Noticed for the last few weeks that my system has been running slower.
> Getting alot of "Program not Responding" messages for IE and Outlook.
> Webpages seem to open slower or hang at times before opening. AVG did
> find
> a trojan one time but that's been taken care of. Everything seemed to
> happen after installing AVAST. Does AVAST slow you down cause if it does
> I'm thinking of removing it. Thanks.

Bud Light

I have an AMD 1700+ and 512 ram. I'm also running AVG at the same time.

"kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1110719229.7457174862f8ba1c3e14f2b7a753972d@t eranews...
> How fast is your CPU and how much ram do you have?
>
> Kenny
>

> "Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Noticed for the last few weeks that my system has been running slower.
> > Getting alot of "Program not Responding" messages for IE and Outlook.
> > Webpages seem to open slower or hang at times before opening. AVG did
> > find
> > a trojan one time but that's been taken care of. Everything seemed to
> > happen after installing AVAST. Does AVAST slow you down cause if it

does
> > I'm thinking of removing it. Thanks.

Dave Lear

"Bud Light" wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)

> I'm also running AVG at the same time.

You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your PC is
slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad idea...

kenny

remove AVG, avast is good by itself and your pc is fast enough to handle
avast with no problem. Avast is the best free antivirus in my opinion.

Kenny

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an AMD 1700+ and 512 ram. I'm also running AVG at the same time.
>

> "kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1110719229.7457174862f8ba1c3e14f2b7a753972d@t eranews...
>> How fast is your CPU and how much ram do you have?
>>
>> Kenny
>>

>> "Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Noticed for the last few weeks that my system has been running slower.
>> > Getting alot of "Program not Responding" messages for IE and Outlook.
>> > Webpages seem to open slower or hang at times before opening. AVG did
>> > find
>> > a trojan one time but that's been taken care of. Everything seemed to
>> > happen after installing AVAST. Does AVAST slow you down cause if it

> does
>> > I'm thinking of removing it. Thanks.

Bud Light

Really? I thought I was just being extra careful....OK....which one should
I keep?

"Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bud Light" wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)
>
> > I'm also running AVG at the same time.

> You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your PC is
> slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad

idea...
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00031316555206

Bud Light

Avast it is....thanks.

"kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1110729522.228a0ad071fc8329d21d2b505e618d34@t eranews...
> remove AVG, avast is good by itself and your pc is fast enough to handle
> avast with no problem. Avast is the best free antivirus in my opinion.
>
> Kenny
>

> "Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an AMD 1700+ and 512 ram. I'm also running AVG at the same time.
> >

> > "kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:1110719229.7457174862f8ba1c3e14f2b7a753972d@t eranews...
> >> How fast is your CPU and how much ram do you have?
> >>
> >> Kenny
> >>

> >> "Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

slower.

did

> > does

Vanguard

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Really? I thought I was just being extra careful....OK....which one
> should
> I keep?
>

> "Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Bud Light" wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> > I'm also running AVG at the same time.

>> You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your
>> PC is
>> slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad

> idea...
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00031316555206

You have can both installed, but do NOT have both of their on-access (or
real-time) scanners enabled. You are then having multiple file
interceptors interrogating the data stream for your file. You can both
installed and use their on-demand scanners to look for infections
manually or with scheduled runs (but don't run them at the same time).

Visit http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/a...s/products.xml to see
which AV product has historically passed muster. Avast passed 11 times
out of 30 tests (37%). AVG passed 7 out of 27 tests (26%). This does
not tell you how many viruses, trojans, spyware, or other malware gets
caught by the latest version of each. It only tells you how the
products did historically. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ lists how
each product does for coverage within several test categories but they
never include AVG. If you intend to keep only one, I would think you
are in the best position to compare the two regarding their feature sets
as to which is better for you.

Avast will scan the ADS (alternate data stream) of files but only if you
enable its option to scan archive (unpacking) is turned on. They treat
the ADS as a special type of packed file. As I recall the reply from
Grisoft, AVG does not scan the ADS. See
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-multi*ple.htm on what is the ADS. Ad-Aware, in
their new SE version, just started scanning the ADS. Spybot and MSAS do
not scan the ADS.

Bud Light

"Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Really? I thought I was just being extra careful....OK....which one
> > should
> > I keep?
> >

> > "Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> You're running AVG and Avast at the same time and wondering why your
> >> PC is
> >> slow? Running more than one anti-virus program concurrently is a bad

> > idea...
> >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00031316555206

> You have can both installed, but do NOT have both of their on-access (or
> real-time) scanners enabled. You are then having multiple file
> interceptors interrogating the data stream for your file. You can both
> installed and use their on-demand scanners to look for infections
> manually or with scheduled runs (but don't run them at the same time).
>
> Visit http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/a...s/products.xml to see
> which AV product has historically passed muster. Avast passed 11 times
> out of 30 tests (37%). AVG passed 7 out of 27 tests (26%). This does
> not tell you how many viruses, trojans, spyware, or other malware gets
> caught by the latest version of each. It only tells you how the
> products did historically. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ lists how
> each product does for coverage within several test categories but they
> never include AVG. If you intend to keep only one, I would think you
> are in the best position to compare the two regarding their feature sets
> as to which is better for you.
>
> Avast will scan the ADS (alternate data stream) of files but only if you
> enable its option to scan archive (unpacking) is turned on. They treat
> the ADS as a special type of packed file. As I recall the reply from
> Grisoft, AVG does not scan the ADS. See
> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-multi*ple.htm on what is the ADS. Ad-Aware, in
> their new SE version, just started scanning the ADS. Spybot and MSAS do
> not scan the ADS.

Thanks for the response. I'll look into this further.

dhwhite dhwhite is offline
Junior Member

Is AVAST considered a firewall?