Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Broadband connection problems after XP upgrade

Broadband connection problems after XP upgrade

NeilW

Hi All,

I've been using Business Broadband without any problems for over a year now.
Yesterday I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows XP. Everything
went fine - so I installed the modem (I've tried both Intel and Speedtouch)
and this went fine. However, whenever I try to connect, I get error 691
saying the password or username is incorrect. I know the username and
password are OK because they connect fine when I boot into Win98 from my old
hard drive.

I'm stumped by this - the Intel is compatible with XP and XP itself is SP2.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

TT

There's probably little connection with XP itself and the problem. That
error means that a network/connection setting is probably not right. Do
you another access number to use? You could try this...

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/connectoidxpe.asp

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:53:45 +0000 (UTC), NeilW
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been using Business Broadband without any problems for over a year
> now.
> Yesterday I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows XP. Everything
> went fine - so I installed the modem (I've tried both Intel and
> Speedtouch)
> and this went fine. However, whenever I try to connect, I get error 691
> saying the password or username is incorrect. I know the username and
> password are OK because they connect fine when I boot into Win98 from my
> old
> hard drive.
>
> I'm stumped by this - the Intel is compatible with XP and XP itself is
> SP2.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

TT wrote:
> There's probably little connection with XP itself and the problem. That
> error means that a network/connection setting is probably not
> right. Do you another access number to use? You could try this...
>
> http://www.modemsite.com/56k/connectoidxpe.asp

You didn't read the OP's question at all, did you?! He has *BROADBAND* -
since when did you require a number to access a DSL connection? And then you
compound your stupidity, by posting a link to an article dealing with *56k*.

You're an idiot.

RDO Computer Services

> I've been using Business Broadband without any problems for over a year
now.
> Yesterday I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows XP. Everything
> went fine - so I installed the modem (I've tried both Intel and

Speedtouch)
> and this went fine. However, whenever I try to connect, I get error 691
> saying the password or username is incorrect. I know the username and
> password are OK because they connect fine when I boot into Win98 from my

old
> hard drive.
>
> I'm stumped by this - the Intel is compatible with XP and XP itself is

SP2.
> Any ideas?

Maybe one of these issues:

1) Username and/or Password CASE SENSITIVE.
2) MAC Address being monitored.
3) Modem USB Software not installed.
4) IP Address is Static in Computer

Wizard

RDO Computer Services wrote:
>> I've been using Business Broadband without any problems for over a
>> year

> now.
>> Yesterday I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows XP.
>> Everything went fine - so I installed the modem (I've tried both
>> Intel and

> Speedtouch)
>> and this went fine. However, whenever I try to connect, I get error
>> 691 saying the password or username is incorrect. I know the
>> username and password are OK because they connect fine when I boot
>> into Win98 from my

> old
>> hard drive.
>>
>> I'm stumped by this - the Intel is compatible with XP and XP itself
>> is

> SP2.
>> Any ideas?

> Maybe one of these issues:
>
> 1) Username and/or Password CASE SENSITIVE.

Hmmmm...

> 2) MAC Address being monitored.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

> 3) Modem USB Software not installed.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

> 4) IP Address is Static in Computer

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"RDO Computer Services" BWAHAHAHAHAH! **** me dead, eh.

yellodog

Try deleting and recreating the BB connection again and when it comes t
the point of entering your user id and password type it first in not
pad so you can see both user id and password then copy and paste int
the proper locations of your new connectoid

--
yellodo
yellodog's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1010