Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Msconfig error

Msconfig error

Mark

I run WinXP Pro with IE browser. I had a web browser hijack last weekend
and have removed the problem.

Two strange things occurred and I fixed one. The first was that when I
clicked on "Start" --> "Help and Support" it would not work. I have fixed
that using information found in a google search.

The 2nd problem is my MSCONFIG file. When I click "Start" --> "Run" --> and
type "msconfig" in the box and hit OK I get an error message:

Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and
then try again. To search for a file..."

MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places. If click on "Start" -->
"Run" --> and type in the fill path for MSCONFIG it runs OK. Is there a way
that I can get WinXP to understand the full path so I can type in only
msconfig (like it used to work)?

Thanks in advance.

Spider

Mark,
Right click My Computer and go to properties. That should bring up the
System Properties. On the Advanced tab you should see a button "Environment
Variables". That will bring up a window and in the lower half of the window
is System variables. Look in the left column for Path. You can edit that
path and add the path to msconfig. The semi-colon is used to separate
items. You may have to reboot for the change to take effect.

--

Spider

http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
http://spider1.blogspot.com/

news:ZrMXd.1825$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I run WinXP Pro with IE browser. I had a web browser hijack last weekend
>and have removed the problem.
>
> Two strange things occurred and I fixed one. The first was that when I
> clicked on "Start" --> "Help and Support" it would not work. I have fixed
> that using information found in a google search.
>
> The 2nd problem is my MSCONFIG file. When I click "Start" --> "Run" -->
> and type "msconfig" in the box and hit OK I get an error message:
>
> Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
> and then try again. To search for a file..."
>
> MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places. If click on "Start" -->
> "Run" --> and type in the fill path for MSCONFIG it runs OK. Is there a
> way that I can get WinXP to understand the full path so I can type in only
> msconfig (like it used to work)?
>
> Thanks in advance.

chuckieŽ

WOW, Spider lives!!! I just haven't 'seen' you around lately. Good to see
you're still at it, enjoy your web site BTW...just my two cents...

"Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsNMXd.110431$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Mark,
> Right click My Computer and go to properties. That should bring up the
> System Properties. On the Advanced tab you should see a button

"Environment
> Variables". That will bring up a window and in the lower half of the

window
> is System variables. Look in the left column for Path. You can edit that
> path and add the path to msconfig. The semi-colon is used to separate
> items. You may have to reboot for the change to take effect.
>
> --
>
> Spider
>
> http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
> http://spider1.blogspot.com/
>
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ZrMXd.1825$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I run WinXP Pro with IE browser. I had a web browser hijack last weekend
> >and have removed the problem.
> >
> > Two strange things occurred and I fixed one. The first was that when I
> > clicked on "Start" --> "Help and Support" it would not work. I have

fixed
> > that using information found in a google search.
> >
> > The 2nd problem is my MSCONFIG file. When I click "Start" --> "Run" -->
> > and type "msconfig" in the box and hit OK I get an error message:
> >
> > Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
> > and then try again. To search for a file..."
> >
> > MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places. If click on "Start" -->
> > "Run" --> and type in the fill path for MSCONFIG it runs OK. Is there a
> > way that I can get WinXP to understand the full path so I can type in

only
> > msconfig (like it used to work)?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Spider

Thanks chuckie. Time still takes it's toll on me, but I manage to get by
once in awhile.

--

Spider

http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
http://spider1.blogspot.com/

"chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news%MXd.2160$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> WOW, Spider lives!!! I just haven't 'seen' you around lately. Good to
> see
> you're still at it, enjoy your web site BTW...just my two cents...
>
> "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsNMXd.110431$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Mark,
>> Right click My Computer and go to properties. That should bring up the
>> System Properties. On the Advanced tab you should see a button

> "Environment
>> Variables". That will bring up a window and in the lower half of the

> window
>> is System variables. Look in the left column for Path. You can edit
>> that
>> path and add the path to msconfig. The semi-colon is used to separate
>> items. You may have to reboot for the change to take effect.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Spider
>>
>> http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
>> http://spider1.blogspot.com/
>>
>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ZrMXd.1825$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I run WinXP Pro with IE browser. I had a web browser hijack last
>> >weekend
>> >and have removed the problem.
>> >
>> > Two strange things occurred and I fixed one. The first was that when I
>> > clicked on "Start" --> "Help and Support" it would not work. I have

> fixed
>> > that using information found in a google search.
>> >
>> > The 2nd problem is my MSCONFIG file. When I click "Start" -->
>> > "Run" -->
>> > and type "msconfig" in the box and hit OK I get an error message:
>> >
>> > Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
>> > and then try again. To search for a file..."
>> >
>> > MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places. If click on "Start" -->
>> > "Run" --> and type in the fill path for MSCONFIG it runs OK. Is there
>> > way that I can get WinXP to understand the full path so I can type in

> only
>> > msconfig (like it used to work)?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

Wizard

Spider wrote:

> Thanks chuckie. Time still takes it's toll on me, but I manage to
> get by once in awhile.

Real meaning: "It's a lie when they say 'age shall not weary them.'"

@ .

Mark wrote:
[...]
> MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places.

and none of these include %systemroot%\system? this is a 'default'
OS installation, and you were able to use MSCONFIG earlier?
you don't explain the nature of the 'browser hijack', but your
description leaves me thinking you may have one or more other problems.
for starters, your environment variables should already have a path to
'system', yet the file is not found. you -can- create a new environment
variable for this, but that seems more like a patch than a solution.

Win 98SE MSCONFIG.EXE Ed Wireless Networking 1 01-24-2005 08:45 PM
Re: MSConfig Error MF A+ Certification 3 01-17-2004 05:04 AM
Re: MSConfig Error Tom MacIntyre A+ Certification 0 01-07-2004 11:35 PM
Re: MSCONFIG EXPERTS WANTED!! user@domain.invalid Computer Support 0 07-16-2003 07:24 PM
msconfig query Henry S C Computer Support 5 07-05-2003 04:45 PM

Advertisments