Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Limited or no connectivity

Limited or no connectivity

Willie

I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).

I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
cable.

I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
no connectivity".

When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.

My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.

What is wrong?

owldo @ PAX

Did you turn off the XP FireWall?

--

Take out the "(trash)" to reply
"Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
>
> I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
> cable.
>
> I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
> no connectivity".
>
> When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
>
> My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
>
> What is wrong?

James

"Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
>
> I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
> cable.
>
> I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
> no connectivity".
>
> When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
>
> My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
>
> What is wrong?

can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
and can you ping your laptop
to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type the
following
ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter

let us know what happens

Willie

Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
Cannot ping either.
It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.

news:d0n3rb$bdi$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
>>
>> I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
>> cable.
>>
>> I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited
>> or no connectivity".
>>
>> When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
>>
>> My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
>>
>> What is wrong?
>>

> can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
> and can you ping your laptop
> to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type
> the following
> ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
> ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter
>
> let us know what happens

James

"Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
> Cannot ping either.
> It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d0n3rb$bdi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
>>>
>>> I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited
>>> or no connectivity".
>>>
>>> When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
>>>
>>> My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
>>>
>>> What is wrong?
>>>

>> can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
>> and can you ping your laptop
>> to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type
>> the following
>> ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
>> ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter
>>
>> let us know what happens

cant ping 127.0.0.1 ? - try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol from the
connection (if it is installed) and then re-install the tcp/ip protocol - if
this does not work then modem is dead m8

James Jenkins
www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
9 Mar 2005 17:24:51 -0000, "James"
<(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from behind the mulberry
bush:

>"Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
>> Cannot ping either.
>> It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.
>>
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d0n3rb$bdi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
>>> and can you ping your laptop
>>> to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type
>>> the following
>>> ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
>>> ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter
>>>
>>> let us know what happens

>cant ping 127.0.0.1 ? - try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol from the
>connection (if it is installed) and then re-install the tcp/ip protocol - if
>this does not work then modem is dead m8
>
>James Jenkins
>www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

If he's running XP (and I assume he is since it is new) then you can't
uninstall TCP/IP. XP won't let you.

--

Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>

"That's what your dead mother said...right before I ****ed her."

Jason, AKA a host of other sock puppets, displays a proclivity for being a mother****er *and* a necrophiliac in Message-ID: <Xns9600B0B4DFAF6spamspamsnuhspam33@207.14.113.1 7>

James

"Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
> 9 Mar 2005 17:24:51 -0000, "James"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from behind the mulberry
> bush:
>

>>"Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
>>> Cannot ping either.
>>> It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.
>>>
>>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:d0n3rb$bdi$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>cant ping 127.0.0.1 ? - try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol from the
>>connection (if it is installed) and then re-install the tcp/ip protocol -
>>if
>>this does not work then modem is dead m8
>>
>>James Jenkins
>>www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

> If he's running XP (and I assume he is since it is new) then you can't
> uninstall TCP/IP. XP won't let you.
>

> --
>

> Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in
>
> "That's what your dead mother said...right before I ****ed her."
>
> Jason, AKA a host of other sock puppets, displays a proclivity for being a
> mother****er *and* a necrophiliac in Message-ID:
> <Xns9600B0B4DFAF6spamspamsnuhspam33@207.14.113.1 7>

goto network connections choose the offending connection - right click
choose properties then click 'Networking' - untick the 'tcp/ip' protocol -
ok ok - restart the xp and then go back and tick the tcp/ip option again...

Glen Nance

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But it's pitch dark. I might fall into a hole & die.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:31:36 -0500, "Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
>
>I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
>cable.
>
>I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
>no connectivity".
>
>When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
>
>My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.

Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Options.

Right click Local Area Connection, Properties. choose TCP &
Properties. Make sure Obtain IP address automatically is selected. and
obtain DNS server automatically is selected too?

Evan

Dan Glybitz

"Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
>
> I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
> cable.
>
> I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
> no connectivity".
>
> When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
>
> My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
>
> What is wrong?

Had the same thing yesterday when I took the plunge and installed XP SP2.
Already had XP Home with SP1 running nicely, but you know how it is? If it's
not broke, fix it until it is! Anyway, ended up ****ing about with a lot of
security settings to sort it out. Look in Control Panel/Security Centre then
go into "change the way Security Centre alerts me" and disable all the
warning etc etc. Also right clicking on the tray connection icon and
choosing repair seems to work.
HTH.

DG.