Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsofts AntiSpyware BETA 1

Microsofts AntiSpyware BETA 1

Seeking Assistance

I replaced this program with AdAware but I'm wondering if it's actually
doing the trick or not? Everytime I run scans I'm not finding ANY
spy/adware but I'm confused, is the program suppose to tell me when it
blocks any because it runs in real time, you don't have to pay for real time
scanning like you do with AdAware or the other ones. If you don't
recommend, which is the best free ad/spyware program out on the market?

Thanks.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Seeking Assistance wrote:
> I replaced this program with AdAware but I'm wondering if it's actually
> doing the trick or not? Everytime I run scans I'm not finding ANY
> spy/adware but I'm confused, is the program suppose to tell me when it
> blocks any because it runs in real time, you don't have to pay for real time
> scanning like you do with AdAware or the other ones. If you don't
> recommend, which is the best free ad/spyware program out on the market?

On a regular basis I use:

Adaware SE
Spybot Search and Destroy
MS Antispyware
Spy Sweeper (30 day free trial)
HijackThis
CWShredder
Spyware Blaster

This is on many computers, not just one. But no single program does it all.

Seeking Assistance

Thanks.

Out of all the ones you use, which is your favorite? I had been using
Adaware SE before I switched to Microsofts but I was just wondering.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seeking Assistance wrote:
>> I replaced this program with AdAware but I'm wondering if it's actually
>> doing the trick or not? Everytime I run scans I'm not finding ANY
>> spy/adware but I'm confused, is the program suppose to tell me when it
>> blocks any because it runs in real time, you don't have to pay for real
>> time scanning like you do with AdAware or the other ones. If you don't
>> recommend, which is the best free ad/spyware program out on the market?

> On a regular basis I use:
>
> Adaware SE
> Spybot Search and Destroy
> MS Antispyware
> Spy Sweeper (30 day free trial)
> HijackThis
> CWShredder
> Spyware Blaster
>
> This is on many computers, not just one. But no single program does it
> all.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Seeking Assistance wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Out of all the ones you use, which is your favorite? I had been using
> Adaware SE before I switched to Microsofts but I was just wondering.

They each are different. HijackThis and CWShredder are specialized, not
for general antispyware use. But I know you want to pin me or somebody
on what is the best or favorite, so I'll just say the combo of Adaware,
Spybot and MS Antispyware is my favorite. If I could choose just one,
it'd probably be the MS pkg, but I'm not limited to just one.

BIGEYE

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seeking Assistance wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Out of all the ones you use, which is your favorite? I had been using
>> Adaware SE before I switched to Microsofts but I was just wondering.
>>

> They each are different. HijackThis and CWShredder are specialized, not
> for general antispyware use. But I know you want to pin me or somebody on
> what is the best or favorite, so I'll just say the combo of Adaware,
> Spybot and MS Antispyware is my favorite. If I could choose just one, it'd
> probably be the MS pkg, but I'm not limited to just one.

I use the following on a regular basis and have had no problems for ages:
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
Adaware 6
MS Anti Spyware
Aluria Spyware Eliminator
Kaspersky AV
Trojan Remover.

Be careful if you run Spybot S&D and you don't have XP SP2 installed. You
may find DSO exploits. Deleting these with S&D can and does on occasions
screw up your internet connection. DSO exploits attach themselves to Winsock
and this goes with the delete. With SP2 it is not a problem.
There is a registry fix for DSO exploits, Google for DSO exploits removal.

Ray

There is also a DSO exploit fix for spybot on majorgeeks.com, click on
spyware tools, and if I remember correctly it's labeled "Spybot - Search and
Destroy DSO Exploit fix". Once you have that patch installed you don't have
to worry about the DSO exploit problem anymore.

"BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
news:422e9c22$0$8754$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Seeking Assistance wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Out of all the ones you use, which is your favorite? I had been using
>>> Adaware SE before I switched to Microsofts but I was just wondering.
>>>

>> They each are different. HijackThis and CWShredder are specialized, not
>> for general antispyware use. But I know you want to pin me or somebody on
>> what is the best or favorite, so I'll just say the combo of Adaware,
>> Spybot and MS Antispyware is my favorite. If I could choose just one,
>> it'd probably be the MS pkg, but I'm not limited to just one.

> I use the following on a regular basis and have had no problems for ages:
> Spybot S&D
> SpywareBlaster
> Adaware 6
> MS Anti Spyware
> Aluria Spyware Eliminator
> Kaspersky AV
> Trojan Remover.
>
> Be careful if you run Spybot S&D and you don't have XP SP2 installed. You
> may find DSO exploits. Deleting these with S&D can and does on occasions
> screw up your internet connection. DSO exploits attach themselves to
> Winsock and this goes with the delete. With SP2 it is not a problem.
> There is a registry fix for DSO exploits, Google for DSO exploits removal.

Toolman Tim

"BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok> wrote in message
news:422e9c22$0$8754$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Seeking Assistance wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Out of all the ones you use, which is your favorite? I had been using
>>> Adaware SE before I switched to Microsofts but I was just wondering.
>>>

>> They each are different. HijackThis and CWShredder are specialized, not
>> for general antispyware use. But I know you want to pin me or somebody on
>> what is the best or favorite, so I'll just say the combo of Adaware,
>> Spybot and MS Antispyware is my favorite. If I could choose just one,
>> it'd probably be the MS pkg, but I'm not limited to just one.

> I use the following on a regular basis and have had no problems for ages:
> Spybot S&D
> SpywareBlaster
> Adaware 6
> MS Anti Spyware
> Aluria Spyware Eliminator
> Kaspersky AV
> Trojan Remover.
>
> Be careful if you run Spybot S&D and you don't have XP SP2 installed. You
> may find DSO exploits. Deleting these with S&D can and does on occasions
> screw up your internet connection. DSO exploits attach themselves to
> Winsock and this goes with the delete. With SP2 it is not a problem.
> There is a registry fix for DSO exploits, Google for DSO exploits removal.

Or ignore it. MS patched the DSO problem a *long* time ago.