Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My Dell Latitude c600/610

My Dell Latitude c600/610

Curmudgeon

Crikey. I dropped it, and unlike in the commercials, where it bounces back
resiliently, my poor laptop went *poof*. It landed on the back of the unit
where the AC adapter pugs in, and apparently snapped the "receiving" part of
the assembly right off of the mother board. I'm not even sure if that part
of the assembly is connected to the mother board, but a nerd told me that it
was, and I usually believe nerds. Can anyone refute the nerd's claim?

If that's the case, I'm not buying a new mother board, because she also told
me that it would be cost-prohibitive to buy/replace the board as opposed to
buying a new computer.

Could it be soldered back together? Does anyone know? Is the nerd wrong?

Finally, does any one know which Dells, if any, use the same hard drive
location (it slides into the right side of the base of the
computer)/configuration as the Latitude c600/610? I desperately need the
data on my hard drive, and I need to know where I can go or what computers I
can use to get that data off.

Relp, Raggy!

thanks.

zw

Toolman Tim

"Curmudgeon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YuqXd.12616$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Crikey. I dropped it, and unlike in the commercials, where it bounces
> back
> resiliently, my poor laptop went *poof*. It landed on the back of the
> unit
> where the AC adapter pugs in, and apparently snapped the "receiving" part
> of
> the assembly right off of the mother board. I'm not even sure if that
> part
> of the assembly is connected to the mother board, but a nerd told me that
> it
> was, and I usually believe nerds. Can anyone refute the nerd's claim?
>
> If that's the case, I'm not buying a new mother board, because she also
> told
> me that it would be cost-prohibitive to buy/replace the board as opposed
> buying a new computer.
>
> Could it be soldered back together? Does anyone know? Is the nerd wrong?
>
> Finally, does any one know which Dells, if any, use the same hard drive
> location (it slides into the right side of the base of the
> computer)/configuration as the Latitude c600/610? I desperately need the
> data on my hard drive, and I need to know where I can go or what computers
> can use to get that data off.
>
> Relp, Raggy!
>
> thanks.
>
> zw

Blast it! I've done that myself. Slid off the couch and bounced.
Fortunately, mine didn't break.

Here's the thing: if the motherboard is actually cracked, it's probably
toast. Why? Multi-layer boards. It's not like old TVs and such. I actually
glued a 4 inch piece of main circuit boad back together in a TV once (super
glue) then point-to-point soldered everything back together. It worked fine.
But a PC board is multi-layer, and there's no way to repair the inside
circuit traces.

However!! With any luck, the barrel plug or "D" plug connector may have been
ripped off the board, and the board isn't really damaged...that can usually
be fixed.

Your Dell hard drive can be removed and put into any PC, with adapters. Two
options are easiest: 1) inside the PC adapter that connects the 2.5" drive
to a standard IDE cable, with a power adapter as well. This is probably the
least expensive, but not likely to be something you get much use of
afterwards. 2) a USB external case that plugs into any computer with USB
ports. Drop the drive in, close the case, off you go.

The other option is to put the drive in a different laptop. If you are using
W9x, it's fairly easy to reconfigure pretty quickly and get the system to
boot, then transfer data off - floppy drive, CD writer, network cable, etc.
If you have W2K or XP, there can be complications getting it to boot - then
I'd suggest the above method.

My guess is you're not near enough to southern Oregon to want to UPS the
unit to me, or I'd offer to recover your data, attempt to fix your power
cord problem, and send it back...dirt cheap...usually $30/$40 plus shipping.
I don't do this for a 'living' but it IS my main hobby <g>

pcbutts1

It's the IBM ThinkPad that bounces back, braces for impact.

"Curmudgeon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YuqXd.12616$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Crikey. I dropped it, and unlike in the commercials, where it bounces
> back
> resiliently, my poor laptop went *poof*. It landed on the back of the
> unit
> where the AC adapter pugs in, and apparently snapped the "receiving" part
> of
> the assembly right off of the mother board. I'm not even sure if that
> part
> of the assembly is connected to the mother board, but a nerd told me that
> it
> was, and I usually believe nerds. Can anyone refute the nerd's claim?
>
> If that's the case, I'm not buying a new mother board, because she also
> told
> me that it would be cost-prohibitive to buy/replace the board as opposed
> buying a new computer.
>
> Could it be soldered back together? Does anyone know? Is the nerd wrong?
>
> Finally, does any one know which Dells, if any, use the same hard drive
> location (it slides into the right side of the base of the
> computer)/configuration as the Latitude c600/610? I desperately need the
> data on my hard drive, and I need to know where I can go or what computers
> can use to get that data off.
>
> Relp, Raggy!
>
> thanks.
>
> zw

Toolman Tim

That's what they say, but like "I'm" not gonna try it <g>

news:nVqXd.5420$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> It's the IBM ThinkPad that bounces back, braces for impact.

> "Curmudgeon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YuqXd.12616$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Crikey. I dropped it, and unlike in the commercials, where it bounces
>> back
>> resiliently, my poor laptop went *poof*. It landed on the back of the
>> unit
>> where the AC adapter pugs in, and apparently snapped the "receiving" part
>> of
>> the assembly right off of the mother board. I'm not even sure if that
>> part
>> of the assembly is connected to the mother board, but a nerd told me that
>> it
>> was, and I usually believe nerds. Can anyone refute the nerd's claim?
>>
>> If that's the case, I'm not buying a new mother board, because she also
>> told
>> me that it would be cost-prohibitive to buy/replace the board as opposed
>> buying a new computer.
>>
>> Could it be soldered back together? Does anyone know? Is the nerd
>> wrong?
>>
>> Finally, does any one know which Dells, if any, use the same hard drive
>> location (it slides into the right side of the base of the
>> computer)/configuration as the Latitude c600/610? I desperately need the
>> data on my hard drive, and I need to know where I can go or what
>> computers I
>> can use to get that data off.
>>
>> Relp, Raggy!
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> zw

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Toolman Tim wrote:

> [...]

> least expensive, but not likely to be something you get much use of
> afterwards. 2) a USB external case that plugs into any computer with USB
> ports. Drop the drive in, close the case, off you go.
>
> The other option is to put the drive in a different laptop. If you are using
> W9x, it's fairly easy to reconfigure pretty quickly and get the system to
> boot, then transfer data off - floppy drive, CD writer, network cable, etc.
> If you have W2K or XP, there can be complications getting it to boot - then
> I'd suggest the above method.
>
> My guess is you're not near enough to southern Oregon to want to UPS the
> unit to me, or I'd offer to recover your data, attempt to fix your power
> cord problem, and send it back...dirt cheap...usually $30/$40 plus shipping.
> I don't do this for a 'living' but it IS my main hobby <g>

Yer too damn cheap. I'll do it for him for $200. Too much time
disassembling and reassembling.