Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > re:160GB hard drive reads 127GB? SPk4 Does not help?

re:160GB hard drive reads 127GB? SPk4 Does not help?

lbbss

I posted today but replies did were not helpful to my situation.
My original post:

I was told to that getting sp4 for win2k will fix the problem. This is
what I did. I made a slipstream cd with win2k sp4. Deleted my second
Partition that was 81gb and repartition and formatted with this sp4 bootable
CD. But for some reason, I still just have 81GB capacity. Do I need to
delete both partitions?
My cmos shows 160GB, but I set the hard drive from Auto to LBA just to
make sure. Anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks

Here are my counter post ( or rebuttal)
1. How can you delete partitions in windows, when you are using windows?
You can't delete an operating system while deleting it, as far as I know.
2.Yes, I realize that there are different ways of counting MB (binary
system)
but a 160GB hard drive should read 147gb total, but mine reads 131gb total
when formatting for windows.
3. Yes, I have pretty much done that by deleting one of my partitions and
starting
from scratch. I technically should go from 81GB to something like 89GB.
But it did not make a difference.

thanks.

why?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:46:51 -0500, lbbss wrote:

>I posted today but replies did were not helpful to my situation.
>My original post:

That's still no need to start again.

Did you say anything about BIOS brand / version?

Anything on the disk brand / model?

Check the manufacturer web site for the drive?

Search Google for something like -
1) LargeLBA or BigLBA as a registry edit.
2) 48 bit LBA 28bit LBA
Check the BIOS as well.
3) 160GB drive seen as 137GB

> I was told to that getting sp4 for win2k will fix the problem. This is
>what I did. I made a slipstream cd with win2k sp4. Deleted my second

I don't know which SP I had when I added my 2 160GB. Most likely SP4,
Win 2000 Pro , Award v6.00PG BIOS. Except for the boot disk (1 x 40GB)
the CMOS has 'none' for all other disks (IDE) and Windows manages them.
For the 160GB ST316002, onboard SATA Sil 3112 controller.
That's on a 3yr old box, which is getting a bit old.

<snip>

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:46:51 -0500, "lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> 1. How can you delete partitions in windows, when you are using windows?
|> You can't delete an operating system while deleting it, as far as I know.

Partition magic will do this, how it works is you merge two partitions
into one, while in windows.

Then reboot, it does the deed at this time, with no loss of data (their
claim).

Don't want the data? Then just use a Win98 boot disk and FDISK it.
http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm