Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Upgrade

XP Upgrade

Marc

I'm going to be installing XP2 on an older Dell P3, 933 currently with 2000
on it. It has their own motherboard in it. I intend to format the drive and
do a clean install.

This machine was given to a relative by a large company when they replaced
some of their computers. She isn't clear if what she has is the original
operating system disk. My guess is no, even if she can find it (which is
doubtful) as it is probably a restore disk.

My specific question is do I just boot from the upgrade CD and format the
drive as one normally would do? I assume at some point during the install it
will ask me to put in the original operating system disk. Will it allow an
OEM disk? If my relative can't find her 2000 restore disk, can I use a 98
OEM disk that came on a different computer (Dell) that I own? The number on
the disk doesn't say OEM on it but it does say "For distribution with a new
PC only". This particular computer is long gone so I wouldn't be using it
for two systems.

Marc

Ron Martell

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm going to be installing XP2 on an older Dell P3, 933 currently with 2000
>on it. It has their own motherboard in it. I intend to format the drive and
>do a clean install.
>
>This machine was given to a relative by a large company when they replaced
>some of their computers. She isn't clear if what she has is the original
>operating system disk. My guess is no, even if she can find it (which is
>doubtful) as it is probably a restore disk.
>
>My specific question is do I just boot from the upgrade CD and format the
>drive as one normally would do?

Yes.

>I assume at some point during the install it
>will ask me to put in the original operating system disk. Will it allow an
>OEM disk? If my relative can't find her 2000 restore disk, can I use a 98
>OEM disk that came on a different computer (Dell) that I own? The number on
>the disk doesn't say OEM on it but it does say "For distribution with a new
>PC only". This particular computer is long gone so I wouldn't be using it
>for two systems.

Technically speaking your Dell OEM Windows was permanently locked to
the Dell computer that it came with, and it is therefore not
legitimate to use this license as the quailifying product for
installing an upgrade version of Windows onto a different computer.

But from a practical point of view it should work.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP