Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgrade Questions

Upgrade Questions

Ron Martell

"Tom & Cindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, if I am understanding you correctly, while I'm running a game (I play
>this one fairly often) the paging file is working more and more. This game
>quickly pushed it well over the 50 MB mark, and I assume would continue to
>increase as I play? And this indicates that I need more RAM.

More RAM would reduce the paging activity, thereby improving
performance.

>Now, is this also where applications running in the background come into
>play? Are those applications, such as antivirus, firewalls, etc, also
>increasing the paging file? This would be why we turn off some applications
>before playing a game and rebooting afterward? I am just trying to make
>sure I understand.

These other programs are using RAM when they are loaded, and therefore
are adding to the cumulative total of RAM used which results in the
use of the paging file. If they were not running then the RAM they
use would be available for other purposes, and that would reduce the
need to use the paging file, thereyby improving performance.

But not having these programs in RAM might also result in risks,
especially if you have a full time internet connection (Cable, DSL)
with no hardware firewall in place.

If I was experiencing the results that you posted I would consider
adding more RAM.

Good luck.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--