Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question regarding upgrade of CPU heatsink...

Question regarding upgrade of CPU heatsink...

P$YCH0 78

Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

Bryn Kay

P$YCH0 78, <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com>, the hobnail, loony flea,
and broom maker, ejected:

> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

No. Liquid nitrogen.

@ .

P$YCH0 78 wrote:

> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

nope. ask the people who built your pc.

TripTych

"P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

If your CPU is overheating (like above 65c) then yes a better heatsink would
help performance & reduce crashes. If your CPU is operating at a normal temp
then a new heatsink wont do anything. Check your temps.

Blinky the Shark

P$YCH0 78 wrote:

> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

No, but it might extend the life of your CPU. As for recommendations,
a lot of people seem to be pretty gaga over the latest Zalman[1]
offerings, if you have the physical space. I'm running an old
Coolermaster HCC-002 all-copper HS[2], and it does a nice job, despite
not being bleeding edge.

[1]http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/usa_index.asp
[2]http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=855&page=1

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

neville

My cpu says 94 degrees but I can still play games it just shuts down now and
then.My main game now is Medal of Honour Pacific Assault.If you just save
your games regular then it doesnt matter if it shuts down.Hope thats some
help.
"P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

TT

I have a Zalman all copper clad heatsink/fan as mentioned in one of
the replies,not the half aluminum-half copper one, and it's a big
mother...but it dropped the temp on my P4 775 processor from mid 130's(F)
to around 100(F)...and it's variable as well. I am running it at the
slowest and quietest setting too. Of course, I also had to turn around
the northbidge/fan heatsink to fit it onto the ABIT Fatal1ty mobo...
Case fans and air movement all have an effect on how successful your
cooling solution is as well. But as stated previously, it extends the
life of the CPU mostly unless you overclock...

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:15:19 -0500, P$YCH0 78
<usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote:

> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

DC

neville wrote:
> My cpu says 94 degrees but I can still play games it just shuts down now and
> then.My main game now is Medal of Honour Pacific Assault.If you just save
> your games regular then it doesnt matter if it shuts down.Hope thats some
> help.
> "P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
>> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

Neville is giving *advice*, now? Oh boy. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

Only if a) it's a P4, and b) it's hot enough that it's throttling,
say 60C or hotter.

Without knowing what you have, and how hot it is now, I can't really
recommend much ..

RwP