Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Good Riddance Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta

Good Riddance Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta

Julie P.

I just uninstalled MS AntiSpyware Beta for the second time, after having
decided to give it a second chance. Good riddance...

The problem: you cannot disable real-time protection.

Sure you can do it, but the next time you restart, it turns back on
automatically, no matter what settings you have selected. And when it runs
in the background, my computer significantly slows down. For example,
instead of five Microsoft Word docs opening in less than a second, they open
one document per second. Strange, SpywareBlaster and SpyBot running in the
background don't have this effect.

Another problem is false positives. I changed my homepage, and MS
AntiSpyware said this was a hijack attempt. And it won't let me ignore this
finding unless I shut down all IE windows.

Well, no surprise here--this is what I get for installing a Microsoft
product. Sigh...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Julie P. wrote:

> I just uninstalled MS AntiSpyware Beta for the second time, after having
> decided to give it a second chance. Good riddance...
>
> The problem: you cannot disable real-time protection.
>
> Sure you can do it, but the next time you restart, it turns back on
> automatically, no matter what settings you have selected. And when it runs
> in the background, my computer significantly slows down. For example,
> instead of five Microsoft Word docs opening in less than a second, they open
> one document per second. Strange, SpywareBlaster and SpyBot running in the
> background don't have this effect.
>
> Another problem is false positives. I changed my homepage, and MS
> AntiSpyware said this was a hijack attempt. And it won't let me ignore this
> finding unless I shut down all IE windows.
>
> Well, no surprise here--this is what I get for installing a Microsoft
> product. Sigh...

It *is* beta, but Spybot and SpywareBlaster don't run in the background,
they just make some changes to the registry. MS Antispyware does
actively monitor for activity that spyware typically shows. I've had
pretty good luck with MSAS (I just invented that acronym, you can tell
all your friends that you know me) but no antispyware is a complete
package, you need several. I frequently will install it, clean the
machine and then disable it. It's stayed disabled for me.

Vanguard

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just uninstalled MS AntiSpyware Beta for the second time, after
>having decided to give it a second chance. Good riddance...
>
> The problem: you cannot disable real-time protection.
>
> Sure you can do it, but the next time you restart, it turns back on
> automatically, no matter what settings you have selected. And when it
> runs in the background, my computer significantly slows down. For
> example, instead of five Microsoft Word docs opening in less than a
> second, they open one document per second.

How did you manage to open 5 Word docs in under 1 second? I'd like to
perform the same test. Also, how large were these docs? Did you have
the on-access scanner for your anti-virus software disabled to eliminate
its checking of macro viruses?

Did you ever try using msconfig.exe to disable the gcasServ program from
scanning and startup options (i.e., security agents)?

> Strange, SpywareBlaster and SpyBot running in the background don't
> have this effect.

You don't know how SpywareBlaster works. It doesn't run in the
background; see my replies at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...870da23c684d27.
Neither does Spybot except for its TeaTimer utility (but Prevx Home is a
better intrusion detection system). Spybot's other protection is to add
a BHO (browser helper object) to IE that monitors for "bad" address to,
for example, prevent downloading of cookies from "bad" sites.

> Another problem is false positives. I changed my homepage, and MS
> AntiSpyware said this was a hijack attempt. And it won't let me ignore
> this finding unless I shut down all IE windows.

Because it doesn't know who actually made the change. How would any
software monitoring the registry and critical files know it was you that
edited them or, say, some keyboard macro program issuing the same
keystrokes? Altering the home and search pages is a common hijack ploy.
If you don't want MSAS monitoring any changes then you did the right
thing by uninstalling it, but then why did you install it in the first
place? WinPatrol, PrevX, Abtrusion, firewalls with firehole protection
and outbound authorization, and even anti-virus software prompts you to
validate to commit an action. If you don't want any of that protection,
don't install it.

> Well, no surprise here--this is what I get for installing a Microsoft
> product. Sigh...

Well, no surprise there. We understand you wish to remain a newbie user
regarding security. You want a free ride and not have to make any
decisions, including RTFM. Hey, if you prefer being lazy regarding
security then do so and don't have any. Security and ease-of-use are
the antithesis of each other. You might get lucky and you computer
never gets raped. If you are diligent with the other security tools and
practice safe hex then you'll probably have a run of good luck ... until
that day arrives when your luck runs out. Makes sure to do periodic
data backups (for file recovery) and drive images (for system recovery)
to cover your butt.

By the way, complaining here about MSAS is as useful as spitting into
the ocean to raise the sea level. MSAS has its own private newsgroup
at:

http://communities.microsoft.com/new...sp?ICP=spyware

Complain there, but you might want to first start by asking how to make
MSAS do what you want, or make suggestions of the same.

What's in a Name?

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Julie P. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I just uninstalled MS AntiSpyware Beta for the second time, after
> having decided to give it a second chance. Good riddance...
>
> The problem: you cannot disable real-time protection.
>
> Sure you can do it, but the next time you restart, it turns back on
> automatically, no matter what settings you have selected. And when it
> runs in the background, my computer significantly slows down. For
> example, instead of five Microsoft Word docs opening in less than a
> second, they open one document per second. Strange, SpywareBlaster
> and SpyBot running in the background don't have this effect.
>
> Another problem is false positives. I changed my homepage, and MS
> AntiSpyware said this was a hijack attempt. And it won't let me
> ignore this finding unless I shut down all IE windows.
>
> Well, no surprise here--this is what I get for installing a Microsoft
> product. Sigh...

If speed is your issue,disconnect your system from the internet,remove all
protection,and there you go! It should fly now.A little performance slow
down is a small price to pay for security.
-max
You can find my e-mail address on my pages
This message is virus free as far as I can tell

2-2-Phenyl-4-Phenylethyl-Propoxy-Radium-4-3-Diethyl-3-Hexahydrate

Rgr, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the hurling, banged-up frotteur, and carter and
hawker of rotten fish, repined:

> no antispyware is a complete package, you need several.

Bullshite you bulldyke.

elaich

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:TN6dnUtQDIH-SLjfRVn-

> Well, no surprise here--this is what I get for installing a Microsoft
> product. Sigh...

Letting Microsoft manage malware on your computer is equivalent to letting
the fox guard the henhouse. If they had a clue about the issue, they'd fix
all the holes in Internet Explorer.

bhskel@shaw.ca

Hi there Julie P.how are you today! have you ever tried spy sweeper by
(webroot) they have a free trial on the net, I downloaded spy sweeper
and a couple of weeks later I went and bought one. it works great!
AD-Aware SE Personal is a good one to. I hope you get that (MS) off
your pc! you have a nice day!

Sincerely Bruce

2-Methyl-3-Methoxybenzoyl-Bromophenoxy-Isoxazolyl-4-Tert-Butyl-2-Diamide

(E-Mail Removed), <(E-Mail Removed)>, the left over, reptilian idiot, and pig
drover, evangelised:

> Hah thuhre Julie P.how are yew tuhday! have yew ever tried spy sweeper by
> (webroot) thuhy have a free trial on thuh net, Ah downloaded spy sweeper
> an' a coupl'a weeks later Ah done went an' bought one. *snort* it works
> great! AD-Aware SE Personal is a good one tuh. Ah hope yew git that (MS)
> uhf yore pc! yew have a right nice day!
>
> Sincerely Bruce

Drunk again, Bwuce?

Lachlan Walters

(E-Mail Removed), <(E-Mail Removed)>, the pocket-sized, useless fungal
infection, and person paid to clean the pavements in Paris of dog ****,
reproved:

> Hi dewe Juwie P.how awe you today! have you evew twied spy sweepew by
> (webwoot) dey have a fwee twiaw on de net, I downwoaded spy sweepew and a
> coupwe of weeks watew I went and bought one. it wowks gweat! AD-Awawe SE
> Pewsonaw is a good one to. I hope you get dat (MS) off youw pc! you have a
> nice day!
>
> Sincewewy Bwuce

Pilorum eos citi, ab pueri nonaginta ex nouem pube. Abes servabam dati se
sana tuosque viasque, iustissimum uigor ius, iuvoque. Ciere cori vacua o
uriique fidelibus it foedabam.

Cuique unoque, alvo in vaco molleram narrantis bona pavidae it. Pacarit
satiasse ara ex spretae spebus pascamini. Duarum sciremus facque, trinis ora
lucubrantes, minoribus memineram obscena. Sata perosi peracta en nolo
gazaque humero tridenta fuso via aula.

Old Gringo

Fun from the Mother Country: http://tinyurl.com/5jpoa

--