Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual Boot Question?

Dual Boot Question?

Kenny

If I am dual booting Win2K and WinXP, is the only thing I need to save
before formatting C: is boot.ini?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On 02 Mar 2005 04:02:13 GMT, Kenny <Kenny@.> wrote:

|> If I am dual booting Win2K and WinXP, is the only thing I need to save
|> before formatting C: is boot.ini?

No, also Ntldr, and ntdetect.com

You'd be better off making a WK2 boot disk and running FIXBOOT after
your format.

And FIXMBR if you happen to screw with the boot block.

--
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05060/464503.stm

Kenny

wrote:

> On 02 Mar 2005 04:02:13 GMT, Kenny <Kenny@.> wrote:
>

>|> If I am dual booting Win2K and WinXP, is the only thing I need
>|> to save before formatting C: is boot.ini?
>
> No, also Ntldr, and ntdetect.com
>
> You'd be better off making a WK2 boot disk and running FIXBOOT
> after your format.
>
> And FIXMBR if you happen to screw with the boot block.

Sorry, I've done this before but this is the first time that I am
actually making an attempt to prepare before I format.

So I save boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com -
After installing the operating system, overwrite boot.ini and add
those two other files to the appropriate directories, then reboot
and the computer will display an Option Screen that displays the
choices of Operating Systems to boot from?

Thanks, so very much for replying the first time -

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On 02 Mar 2005 04:45:15 GMT, Kenny <Kenny@.> wrote:

|> So I save boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com -
|> After installing the operating system, overwrite boot.ini and add
|> those two other files to the appropriate directories, then reboot
|> and the computer will display an Option Screen that displays the
|> choices of Operating Systems to boot from?

If your going to install XP or WK2 then the O/S will find the other
system and include it in the boot.ini as well as install the other two
files.

But yes if you have boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com on your C drive you
will boot and have an option of going where the boot.ini points, and
load a system if it exist.

But yes, boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com are need'd to boot into NT-XP

--

wrote:

> On 02 Mar 2005 04:45:15 GMT, Kenny <Kenny@.> wrote:
>
>|> So I save boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com -
>|> After installing the operating system, overwrite boot.ini and
>|> add those two other files to the appropriate directories, then
>|> reboot and the computer will display an Option Screen that
>|> displays the choices of Operating Systems to boot from?
>
> If your going to install XP or WK2 then the O/S will find the
> other system and include it in the boot.ini as well as install
> the other two files.
>
> But yes if you have boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com on your C
> drive you will boot and have an option of going where the
> boot.ini points, and load a system if it exist.
>
> But yes, boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com are need'd to boot into
> NT-XP

Thank you very much for having patience with me and then again for
being so kind.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Kenny mused:

| So I save boot.ini, Ntldr and ntdetect.com -

You only need to save them if you are installing XP first, and then
2000. If you are installing XP second, then it will write the proper files.