Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drives--Are big ones more delicate than smaller ones?

Hard drives--Are big ones more delicate than smaller ones?

PowerPost2000

I have a 200 GB WD drive, about a year and a half old.

today was the third time it's gone nuts on me. From My Computer, it
tells me Drive F is missing or corrupt. I restart it, let check disk
run, and when it came on, about 80% of the drive was gone.

Is it time to toss this one out? Or is there a simple fix?

Thanks.

Pikan

check cables - if still keeps breaking - buy new drive.

try running

format F: /u

if you have xp or win2k then try doing the following

start -> run -> CMD -> press enter
then type

convert F: FS:NTFS

this will convert the file system to NTFS - more stable and secure.

more information on this can be found at

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...onvertfat.mspx

Also might be worth a shot hooking the drive up to 1) a different cable
2) a differnt HDD controller. As it is possible the problem lies with
one of those things and not the drive.

Togobacteria Peptidovorans Xylosoxydans Rymovirus

PowerPost2000, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the mistaken, swinish measle, and
puppeteer/marionetteer, radiated:

http://support.wdc.com/download/inde...cxml=n&pid=999