Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Liquid Cooling Kits Worth It?

Liquid Cooling Kits Worth It?

Nik Schlein

Okay, I am building my new computer, and I have always heard that liquid
cooling is the way to go if you can afford it. I can afford it, well that is
I will force myself to if it truly is the better choice. But in my research
of cooling kits, they are reporting only marginally better temperature
reductions then traditional heatsink and fans. So my question is, am I
better to get a liquid cooling kit for my CPU or am I better to get a good
fan/heatsink combo and save the $100+ ??

kenny

those liquid cooling systems are for overclockers...
If you use your cpu at its rated speed then you dont need liquid cooling.

"Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Okay, I am building my new computer, and I have always heard that liquid
> cooling is the way to go if you can afford it. I can afford it, well that
> is I will force myself to if it truly is the better choice. But in my
> research of cooling kits, they are reporting only marginally better
> temperature reductions then traditional heatsink and fans. So my question
> is, am I better to get a liquid cooling kit for my CPU or am I better to
> get a good fan/heatsink combo and save the $100+ ??

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Nik Schlein wrote:

> Okay, I am building my new computer, and I have always heard that liquid
> cooling is the way to go if you can afford it. I can afford it, well that is
> I will force myself to if it truly is the better choice. But in my research
> of cooling kits, they are reporting only marginally better temperature
> reductions then traditional heatsink and fans. So my question is, am I
> better to get a liquid cooling kit for my CPU or am I better to get a good
> fan/heatsink combo and save the $100+ ??

http://compreviews.about.com/od/cpus...uidCooling.htm

The One

"Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Okay, I am building my new computer, and I have always heard that liquid
> cooling is the way to go if you can afford it. I can afford it, well that

is
> I will force myself to if it truly is the better choice. But in my

research
> of cooling kits, they are reporting only marginally better temperature
> reductions then traditional heatsink and fans. So my question is, am I
> better to get a liquid cooling kit for my CPU or am I better to get a good
> fan/heatsink combo and save the $100+ ??

No, one leak = whole system ****ed.

Fill your system up with fans.

127.0.0.1

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42249be3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Okay, I am building my new computer, and I have always heard that liquid
>> cooling is the way to go if you can afford it. I can afford it, well that

> is
>> I will force myself to if it truly is the better choice. But in my

> research
>> of cooling kits, they are reporting only marginally better temperature
>> reductions then traditional heatsink and fans. So my question is, am I
>> better to get a liquid cooling kit for my CPU or am I better to get a
>> good
>> fan/heatsink combo and save the $100+ ??
>>

> No, one leak = whole system ****ed.
>
> Fill your system up with fans.

more fans = more dust...

-a|ex

Blinky the Shark

127.0.0.1 wrote:

> "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42249be3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> "Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Okay, I am building my new computer, and I have always heard that liquid
>>> cooling is the way to go if you can afford it. I can afford it, well that

>> is
>>> I will force myself to if it truly is the better choice. But in my

>> research
>>> of cooling kits, they are reporting only marginally better temperature
>>> reductions then traditional heatsink and fans. So my question is, am I
>>> better to get a liquid cooling kit for my CPU or am I better to get a
>>> good
>>> fan/heatsink combo and save the $100+ ??

>> No, one leak = whole system ****ed.

>> Fill your system up with fans.

> more fans = more dust...

Not if you filter the input(s) and the input(s) move enough air to keep
the box pressure positive. In that case, you get a *cleaner* box.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

127.0.0.1

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> 127.0.0.1 wrote:
>
>> "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:42249be3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> "Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> is
>>> research

>>> No, one leak = whole system ****ed.

>>> Fill your system up with fans.

>> more fans = more dust...

> Not if you filter the input(s) and the input(s) move enough air to keep
> the box pressure positive. In that case, you get a *cleaner* box.

i guess you never worked with case filtering...

you haven't described input(s)
if air is being drawn out by the fans, then inputs will include CD tray, USB
panels, floppy input, all areas where you get dust accumulation.

you want low vacuum (single fan) with large filter area (replace case panel
with tight fitting custom filter). my home servers uses this configuration.
i also monitor the temperature with my fluke meter.

-a|ex

Blinky the Shark

127.0.0.1 wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> 127.0.0.1 wrote:

>>> "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:42249be3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> more fans = more dust...

>> Not if you filter the input(s) and the input(s) move enough air to
>> keep the box pressure positive. In that case, you get a *cleaner*
>> box.

> i guess you never worked with case filtering...

I have a high-enough-movement case inward-blowing fan on the side of the
case that the air flow through cracks, vents, and other openings is
outbound. Nothing's coming in those dirty, and the side fan that keeps
the pressure positive is filtered.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Barry OGrady

No.

-Barry
========

Nik Schlein

I would say just get some "Canned Air" and blow the sum biatch out. I don't
smoke but if you do then its more complicated. I blow out my computer once a
month whether it needs it or not.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...