Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Motherboard

New Motherboard

pat

I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know if,
by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
files and emails.

James

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d01lf6$s3l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
>computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
>that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
>moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
>keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
>day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know if,
>by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
>gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
>anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
>files and emails.

Certainly NOT! - Replace the motherboard battery to cure that problem with
the motherboard not remembering settings (; - To remove spyware run Spybot -
virus check the system with an up to date virus checker and allow it to
delete or heal the virus. Replacing the motherboard will have no effect on a
virus - the virus is most certainly on your hard drive - so the worst
scenerio is to wipe your hard drive and to re-install XP - You will still
have a virus on your hard drive, after a motherboard replacement the chances
are you may have to re-install XP anyway -
--
James Jenkins
www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

pat wrote:
> I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
> computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
> that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
> moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
> keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
> day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know if,
> by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
> gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
> anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
> files and emails.

You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
dead, you only need to replace the battery.
They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily removable.
Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
the trojan.

Brian

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:d01lf6$s3l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
> computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
> that should remember everything when my computer starts up.

he may just be replacing the bios battery (default settings will be restored
in your bios. i.e booting sequence)

I have at the
> moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
> keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
> day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day.

get yourself adaware and other spyware removal tools:
http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#trojan
http://www.thefreecountry.com/securi...eremoval.shtml

read the help files with those apps as in to turning off/on sys restore etc.
update them, run them get at least two. and have em remove any pests

Does anyone know if,
> by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
> gone for good afterwards.

no. it won't. again read my other post for the list of free anti virus
software.
also as in my other post:
http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#email (scroll down a touch and you will
find the list of free firewalls)

Also, will having a new motherboard change
> anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
> files and emails.

you may require you to activate your OS again (if the MB does get replaced
and not just the battery) but other than that probably no.(ask the tech guy
*nicely* if he will do it for you should it be required)

make sure the tech guy runs your pc up after doing whatever he does. (whilst
your there!) make sure everything is ok..go online and run a few apps like
OE etc.. check your drives are all recognised and accessible in "my
computer" etc.

Mark Shaw

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CdZUd.725$(E-Mail Removed)...

> You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
> dead, you only need to replace the battery.
> They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
> Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily removable.
> Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
> the trojan.

Lets hope the OP isnt paying for a motherboard she doesnt need...

pat

Have already run spybot and AVG. Have deleted the trojan virus in safe mode
with system restore disabled, but it still comes back at 13.34 every day.
Strange!!!!!!

news:d01n1s$74n$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d01lf6$s3l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
>>computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
>>that should remember everything when my computer starts up. I have at the
>>moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
>>keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
>>day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day. Does anyone know
>>if, by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will
>>be gone for good afterwards. Also, will having a new motherboard change
>>anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
>>files and emails.
>>

> Certainly NOT! - Replace the motherboard battery to cure that problem with
> the motherboard not remembering settings (; - To remove spyware run
> Spybot - virus check the system with an up to date virus checker and allow
> it to delete or heal the virus. Replacing the motherboard will have no
> effect on a virus - the virus is most certainly on your hard drive - so
> the worst scenerio is to wipe your hard drive and to re-install XP - You
> will still have a virus on your hard drive, after a motherboard
> replacement the chances are you may have to re-install XP anyway -
> --
> James Jenkins
> www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

pat

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:d01lf6$s3l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
>> computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff battery
>> that should remember everything when my computer starts up.

> he may just be replacing the bios battery (default settings will be
> restored
> in your bios. i.e booting sequence)
>
> I have at the
>> moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages and
>> keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time every
>> day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day.

> get yourself adaware and other spyware removal tools:
> http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#trojan
> http://www.thefreecountry.com/securi...eremoval.shtml
>
> read the help files with those apps as in to turning off/on sys restore
> etc.
> update them, run them get at least two. and have em remove any pests
>
> Does anyone know if,
>> by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will be
>> gone for good afterwards.

> no. it won't. again read my other post for the list of free anti virus
> software.
> also as in my other post:
> http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#email (scroll down a touch and you will
> find the list of free firewalls)
>
> Also, will having a new motherboard change
>> anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or saved
>> files and emails.

> you may require you to activate your OS again (if the MB does get
> replaced
> and not just the battery) but other than that probably no.(ask the tech
> guy
> *nicely* if he will do it for you should it be required) I AM A BIT THICK,
> WHAT IS OS?
>
> make sure the tech guy runs your pc up after doing whatever he does.
> (whilst
> your there!) make sure everything is ok..go online and run a few apps like
> OE etc.. check your drives are all recognised and accessible in "my
> computer" etc.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Mark Shaw wrote:

> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CdZUd.725$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
>>dead, you only need to replace the battery.
>>They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
>>Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily removable.
>>Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
>>the trojan.

> Lets hope the OP isnt paying for a motherboard she doesnt need...

Let's hope he/she tells the tech to go away and then find someone who
isn't prepared to rip her off.

pat

Not costing anything. Still under guarantee!

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XrZUd.1508$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark Shaw wrote:
>
>> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:CdZUd.725$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>>>You should not need to replace the motherboard if the BIOS battery is
>>>dead, you only need to replace the battery.
>>>They are very cheap, just a few of your local currency.
>>>Some are soldered into place, but normally they are more easily
>>>removable.
>>>Deal with the battery first, then come back to the thread and deal with
>>>the trojan.

>> Lets hope the OP isnt paying for a motherboard she doesnt need...
>>

> Let's hope he/she tells the tech to go away and then find someone who
> isn't prepared to rip her off.

Brian

"pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:d01o16$6dr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:d01lf6$s3l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have got an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard on my
> >> computer (Windows XP, Packard Bell). Something to do with a duff

battery
> >> that should remember everything when my computer starts up.

> > he may just be replacing the bios battery (default settings will be
> > restored
> > in your bios. i.e booting sequence)
> >
> > I have at the
> >> moment got a trojan horse downloader virus, which I have had for ages

and
> >> keep deleting the file, but it comes back at exactly the same time

every
> >> day, after it's deleted, it's gone until the next day.

> > get yourself adaware and other spyware removal tools:
> > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#trojan
> > http://www.thefreecountry.com/securi...eremoval.shtml
> >
> > read the help files with those apps as in to turning off/on sys restore
> > etc.
> > update them, run them get at least two. and have em remove any pests
> >
> > Does anyone know if,
> >> by replaceing the motherboard, there is any chance that my virus will

be
> >> gone for good afterwards.

> > no. it won't. again read my other post for the list of free anti virus
> > software.
> > also as in my other post:
> > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/#email (scroll down a touch and you

will
> > find the list of free firewalls)
> >
> > Also, will having a new motherboard change
> >> anything that is on my computer now, ie: settings, installations or

saved
> >> files and emails.

> > you may require you to activate your OS again (if the MB does get
> > replaced
> > and not just the battery) but other than that probably no.(ask the tech
> > guy
> > *nicely* if he will do it for you should it be required)

I AM A BIT THICK, WHAT IS OS?

OS = Operating System (in your case Windows XP)