Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No restore disk

No restore disk

Newton Lightfoot

My friend bought a second hand computer from someone who did not have a disk
to restore Windows Millenium. The computer is an older model which will be
replaced in several months. Is there any way to restore Windows in the event
of a meltdown? thank you

philo

"Newton Lightfoot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mfpUd.293789$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friend bought a second hand computer from someone who did not have a

disk
> to restore Windows Millenium. The computer is an older model which will be
> replaced in several months. Is there any way to restore Windows in the

event
> of a meltdown? thank you

you'd need the restore cd or another windows cd
but more than likely the machine will last for another few months

why?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:32:34 GMT, Newton Lightfoot wrote:

>My friend bought a second hand computer from someone who did not have a disk
>to restore Windows Millenium. The computer is an older model which will be
>replaced in several months. Is there any way to restore Windows in the event
>of a meltdown? thank you

If it's working as is, and it has a CD writer you could look at Norton
Ghost. NG takes an image of the hardisk.

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Me

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:32:34 GMT, Newton Lightfoot wrote:
>
>>My friend bought a second hand computer from someone who did not have a
>>disk
>>to restore Windows Millenium. The computer is an older model which will be
>>replaced in several months. Is there any way to restore Windows in the
>>event
>>of a meltdown? thank you

> If it's working as is, and it has a CD writer you could look at Norton
> Ghost. NG takes an image of the hardisk.
>
> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Excellent for that! I'd do it twice. Once as it is, then I'd spend a bunch
of time really deep-cleaning, then run it again.

Plato

Newton Lightfoot wrote:

> My friend bought a second hand computer from someone who did not have a disk
> to restore Windows Millenium. The computer is an older model which will be
> replaced in several months. Is there any way to restore Windows in the event
> of a meltdown? thank you

One can always, and its recommened to own, the cd for whatever OS you
want to continue to use on the pc.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/