Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Soundcard problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Soundcard problem

 
 
URAQT2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2005
Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of
it is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or
something as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the
media players.

I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.

I am using WinXP Home

Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio

My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
80g C drive, 120g D drive.

Do any of you have any advise?

You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
questions. Thank you very much.

--
Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
URAQT2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2005
I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.

URAQT2 wrote:

> Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
> electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
> is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
> as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
>
> I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
> old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
>
> I am using WinXP Home
>
> Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
> Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
>
> My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
> 80g C drive, 120g D drive.
>
> Do any of you have any advise?
>
> You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
> questions. Thank you very much.
>


--
Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

-------------------------------
For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and
women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant
religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and
Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom,
to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have
appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the
unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said "Think" The many
have said "Believe!"-Robert Ingersoll, (Gods)

Without freedom of religion and from religion there is no democracy.
No country can exist as both a theocracy and a democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2005
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
>
>URAQT2 wrote:
>
>> Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
>> electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
>> is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
>> as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
>>
>> I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
>> old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
>>
>> I am using WinXP Home
>>
>> Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
>> Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
>>
>> My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
>> 80g C drive, 120g D drive.
>>
>> Do any of you have any advise?
>>
>> You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
>> questions. Thank you very much.
>>


The only time I had that was once when I dropped a large office chair on the
floor beside the computer, and it crashed from the huge shock vibration! Scared
the crap out of me!!

But for you - check if the card is loose in the machine (power off first) - then
try another sound card...

 
Reply With Quote
 
URAQT2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2005


Bob wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
>>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
>>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
>>
>>URAQT2 wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
>>>electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
>>>is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
>>>as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
>>>
>>>I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
>>>old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
>>>
>>>I am using WinXP Home
>>>
>>>Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
>>>Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
>>>
>>>My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
>>>80g C drive, 120g D drive.
>>>
>>>Do any of you have any advise?
>>>
>>>You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
>>>questions. Thank you very much.
>>>

>
>
> The only time I had that was once when I dropped a large office chair on the
> floor beside the computer, and it crashed from the huge shock vibration! Scared
> the crap out of me!!


Yep. I can see why it would.

>
> But for you - check if the card is loose in the machine (power off first)


Did that, but I appreciate the suggestion.
I think I may take it out and clean the contacts just to be sure.
I suppose I could also uninstall it and then let Plug 'n Play
reinstall it.

> - then
> try another sound card...
>


Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
another sound card.

p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened
to this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have
come here with problems before I usually had some informative replies
within an hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got
some of those from trolls that just love to see their own posts in
newsgroups.

This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and
the only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I
appreciate it. Do you happen to know where those long timers that were
always so helpful went to? Is there another help newsgroup about
computer problems minor and major?

Thanks Bob.

--
Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

-------------------------------
For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and
women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant
religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and
Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom,
to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have
appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the
unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said "Think" The many
have said "Believe!"-Robert Ingersoll, (Gods)

Without freedom of religion and from religion there is no democracy.
No country can exist as both a theocracy and a democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2005

"URAQT2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:15SUd.16323$r55.5644@attbi_s52...
>
> <big snip>
> Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
> another sound card.
>
> p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened to
> this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have come
> here with problems before I usually had some informative replies within an
> hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got some of those
> from trolls that just love to see their own posts in newsgroups.
>
> This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and the
> only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I appreciate it.
> Do you happen to know where those long timers that were always so helpful
> went to? Is there another help newsgroup about computer problems minor and
> major?
>
> Thanks Bob.
>

Hi, Chuck!

There are still helpful people here...if I had any substantial suggestions I
would have jumped in here myself.

You asked about alternative news groups - I just looked through a few
'soundcard' news groups, and found pretty much garbage (porn ads, etc.)

I don't really have an answer for you, but your audio may be built in to the
motherboard. While that doesn't make it impossible to troubleshoot, it is
more difficult. What I'd try if it were my computer, is open the case and
remove the sound card (if it's not built in.) Then restart the computer
without it. Crystal audio drivers generally have a "remove drivers" function
in the install program. I'd run that with the sound card out. Then power
off, re-install the card, and restart. That should force a re-install.

If the sound is 'built-in' you may have to try uninstalling then
reinstalling the drivers without the advantage of pulling the card.

Drivers for your Crystal audio can be found at:
http://members.driverguide.com/index...&jmd=and&fzz=d

or http://tinyurl.com/6t9jk

(you may have to sign up for a free account) although it may be the same
drivers you have now.

It's also possible that there are newer drivers on the Windows Update site.
You are given two options there: Express and Custom install. If you do
Custom, it will look at drivers as well as Windows updates. The list on the
left shows optional updates that you don't see with the Express update
option.

As I think about it, this sounds like an interrupt problem. Perhaps your
audio shares an IRQ with something else in the system, and it's getting
hung. (Early PCs couldn't share IRQs, but the new ones frequently do.)
Reinstalling drivers may not fix the problems if that's the case - it may be
the other device causing the conflict.


 
Reply With Quote
 
URAQT2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-01-2005


Toolman Tim wrote:
> "URAQT2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:15SUd.16323$r55.5644@attbi_s52...
>
>><big snip>
>>Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
>>another sound card.
>>
>>p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened to
>>this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have come
>>here with problems before I usually had some informative replies within an
>>hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got some of those
>>from trolls that just love to see their own posts in newsgroups.
>>
>>This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and the
>>only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I appreciate it.
>>Do you happen to know where those long timers that were always so helpful
>>went to? Is there another help newsgroup about computer problems minor and
>>major?
>>
>>Thanks Bob.
>>

>
> Hi, Chuck!
>
> There are still helpful people here...if I had any substantial suggestions I
> would have jumped in here myself.


Thanks. I figured there are still some people around here willing to help.

>
> You asked about alternative news groups - I just looked through a few
> 'soundcard' news groups, and found pretty much garbage (porn ads, etc.)


Pretty much what I figured. We are even getting that kind of crap in a
couple of disease related support newsgroups I participate in.

>
> I don't really have an answer for you, but your audio may be built in to the
> motherboard. While that doesn't make it impossible to troubleshoot, it is
> more difficult. What I'd try if it were my computer, is open the case and
> remove the sound card (if it's not built in.) Then restart the computer
> without it. Crystal audio drivers generally have a "remove drivers" function
> in the install program. I'd run that with the sound card out. Then power
> off, re-install the card, and restart. That should force a re-install.
>
> If the sound is 'built-in' you may have to try uninstalling then
> reinstalling the drivers without the advantage of pulling the card.
>
> Drivers for your Crystal audio can be found at:
> http://members.driverguide.com/index...&jmd=and&fzz=d
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/6t9jk
>
> (you may have to sign up for a free account) although it may be the same
> drivers you have now.
>
> It's also possible that there are newer drivers on the Windows Update site.
> You are given two options there: Express and Custom install. If you do
> Custom, it will look at drivers as well as Windows updates. The list on the
> left shows optional updates that you don't see with the Express update
> option.
>
> As I think about it, this sounds like an interrupt problem. Perhaps your
> audio shares an IRQ with something else in the system, and it's getting
> hung. (Early PCs couldn't share IRQs, but the new ones frequently do.)
> Reinstalling drivers may not fix the problems if that's the case - it may be
> the other device causing the conflict.
>
>


Thanks Tim. That is just the kind of advise I was looking for. It is a
separate card. It's too late tonight for me to do what you suggest.
Don't trust myself when I'm really sleepy, you know. I will follow
through with your suggestions though very soon.

You have given me several things to look at. I was just playing
Tip Top Deluxe when it happened again about 20 minutes into the game.
Time to reboot and then get away from the computer for tonight.

Thanks again.

p.s. I loved your TV show.

--
Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

-------------------------------
For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and
women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant
religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and
Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom,
to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have
appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the
unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said "Think" The many
have said "Believe!"-Robert Ingersoll, (Gods)

Without freedom of religion and from religion there is no democracy.
No country can exist as both a theocracy and a democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2005
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:21:17 GMT, URAQT2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>Bob wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
>>>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
>>>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
>>>
>>>URAQT2 wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
>>>>electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
>>>>is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
>>>>as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media players.
>>>>
>>>>I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
>>>>old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
>>>>
>>>>I am using WinXP Home
>>>>
>>>>Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
>>>>Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
>>>>
>>>>My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
>>>>80g C drive, 120g D drive.
>>>>
>>>>Do any of you have any advise?
>>>>
>>>>You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
>>>>questions. Thank you very much.
>>>>

>>
>>
>> The only time I had that was once when I dropped a large office chair on the
>> floor beside the computer, and it crashed from the huge shock vibration! Scared
>> the crap out of me!!

>
>Yep. I can see why it would.
>
>>
>> But for you - check if the card is loose in the machine (power off first)

>
>Did that, but I appreciate the suggestion.
>I think I may take it out and clean the contacts just to be sure.
>I suppose I could also uninstall it and then let Plug 'n Play
>reinstall it.


That's always good! Also check around the web for new drivers...

>> - then
>> try another sound card...
>>

>
>Sorry Bob, but I am retired and don't have money laying around to buy
>another sound card.


hmmmm there was a shop here selling sound cards for $24, I had a few at one
time... You might be able to pick up an 'obsolete' one for a few bucks
somewhere, from someone who upgraded to a super game board!

You have a Crystal board you said - I have a low opinion of Crystal sound cards!
I prefer Yamaha cards if I can get them because they have the official Yamaha
midi sounds, usually better then other cards. Also they are quieter in my
experience.

>p.s. I noticed someone here started a thread asking what has happened
>to this newsgroup. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. When I have
>come here with problems before I usually had some informative replies
>within an hour, a day at the most. Then the last time I was here I got
>some of those from trolls that just love to see their own posts in
>newsgroups.


I'm not a regular here, but I try to contribute what I can concerning audio and
video, the things I do most on computers. (I'm a communications tech)

>This time you have been the only person polite enough to answer and
>the only one to at least try to help me. I want you to know I
>appreciate it.


Thanks for the kind words!

>Do you happen to know where those long timers that were
>always so helpful went to? Is there another help newsgroup about
>computer problems minor and major?


sorry no...

>Thanks Bob.


your welcome!

 
Reply With Quote
 
notgary@notdonavan.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005
Bob wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:45:21 GMT, URAQT2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I don't know if no one has read my question or if no one has read it
>>that has experience with this problem. I just thought I would try once
>>more to see if someone here has a solution. Thank you all.
>>
>>URAQT2 wrote:
>>
>>> Every so often the sound on my p.c. will suddenly change to a constant
>>> electronic buzzing noise. The only way I have been able to get rid of it
>>> is by rebooting. This may happen when I am playing a game or something
>>> as simple as listening to a short audio file in any of the media
>>> players.
>>>
>>> I have reinstalled the latest drivers that I could find (over 2 years
>>> old) for the sound card and nothing has changed.
>>>
>>> I am using WinXP Home
>>>
>>> Device Manager tells me my sound card is a
>>> Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio
>>>
>>> My p.c. is a Pentium 4 with over 1g of memory.
>>> 80g C drive, 120g D drive.
>>>
>>> Do any of you have any advise?
>>>
>>> You all have always been so helpful even with the most trivial of
>>> questions. Thank you very much.
>>>


You probably have a loose connection or a bad audio cord somewhere. Go over
everything concerning sound and check it thoroughly. The previous
suggestions about checking the sound card are quite valid, but it could be
something external--the buzz is the powerline frequency (50/60Hz) getting
into the sound chain, which means that somewhere something which normally
prevents that isn't working.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panning problem - SB Audigy 2ZX soundcard GigaOrColossus Computer Support 3 09-22-2006 12:08 PM
Vista 64-Bit, X-FI soundcard driver problem =?Utf-8?B?U2luZVBhcmk=?= Windows 64bit 2 06-10-2006 04:04 PM
Crystal Devices Soundcard Problem Jonathan L A+ Certification 0 11-26-2004 04:13 PM
soundcard drivers keanu Computer Support 2 07-18-2003 06:49 PM
XP driver for Diamond soundcard. OldNick Computer Support 2 07-06-2003 10:07 PM



Advertisments