Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mysteriously Unable to Resolve Web Pages (DNS)

Mysteriously Unable to Resolve Web Pages (DNS)

bPstyles

Every so often, I will lose the ability to resolve anything that needs to go
through DNS. IN other words, I can connect to an ip, but not the name.
LIkewise, p2p software and chat software works. I can ping the ip, but not
the name.

A reboot usually solves this. Rebooting the router does not as other
machines have connectivity. I us XP Pro and this hasn't happened to me
since the 95/98 days when I would reinstall TCP/IP and be done with it.

Also, I can't even get to the router from this machine.

What can I do? Thanks a lot.

P.S. Running on cable with a Netgear 4-port wireless

Belgarath

Check the DNS settings in your router, maybe your provider changed their
DNS-servers.
This is very rare, but you never know.

Belgarath

"bPstyles" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every so often, I will lose the ability to resolve anything that needs to

go
> through DNS. IN other words, I can connect to an ip, but not the name.
> LIkewise, p2p software and chat software works. I can ping the ip, but

not
> the name.
>
> A reboot usually solves this. Rebooting the router does not as other
> machines have connectivity. I us XP Pro and this hasn't happened to me
> since the 95/98 days when I would reinstall TCP/IP and be done with it.
>
> Also, I can't even get to the router from this machine.
>
> What can I do? Thanks a lot.
>
> P.S. Running on cable with a Netgear 4-port wireless

Simon Smith

Ask your Mum......

Simon

"bPstyles" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every so often, I will lose the ability to resolve anything that needs to
> go
> through DNS. IN other words, I can connect to an ip, but not the name.
> LIkewise, p2p software and chat software works. I can ping the ip, but
> not
> the name.
>
> A reboot usually solves this. Rebooting the router does not as other
> machines have connectivity. I us XP Pro and this hasn't happened to me
> since the 95/98 days when I would reinstall TCP/IP and be done with it.
>
> Also, I can't even get to the router from this machine.
>
> What can I do? Thanks a lot.
>
> P.S. Running on cable with a Netgear 4-port wireless

bPstyles

"Belgarath" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42220bd9$0$28986$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> Check the DNS settings in your router, maybe your provider changed their
> DNS-servers.
> This is very rare, but you never know.

Set to get them automatically.

This is odd, indeed. I am setting up to format this machine anyway, I
suspect perhaps a problem arised after I got accidentally blizted when I was
visiting some sites the MPAA would be saddened about. I thought I nipped it
in the butt, but perhaps not.

Thanks for fast response, though.

> Belgarath
>
> "bPstyles" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Every so often, I will lose the ability to resolve anything that needs

> go
> > through DNS. IN other words, I can connect to an ip, but not the name.
> > LIkewise, p2p software and chat software works. I can ping the ip, but

> not
> > the name.
> >
> > A reboot usually solves this. Rebooting the router does not as other
> > machines have connectivity. I us XP Pro and this hasn't happened to me
> > since the 95/98 days when I would reinstall TCP/IP and be done with it.
> >
> > Also, I can't even get to the router from this machine.
> >
> > What can I do? Thanks a lot.
> >
> > P.S. Running on cable with a Netgear 4-port wireless

bPstyles

"Simon Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cvt2ef$j3q$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ask your Mum......

She said I should give the router a valium and have some wine so we can both
deal with the likes of you.

Simon Smith

Seems like she's a sensible lady then ........
Simon
"bPstyles" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Simon Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cvt2ef$j3q$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Ask your Mum......

> She said I should give the router a valium and have some wine so we can
> both
> deal with the likes of you.

Jim Byrd

Hi bPstyles - Try doing a Reset on your router.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
bPstyles <****(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> "Belgarath" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42220bd9$0$28986$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>> Check the DNS settings in your router, maybe your provider changed
>> their DNS-servers.
>> This is very rare, but you never know.

> Set to get them automatically.
>
> This is odd, indeed. I am setting up to format this machine anyway, I
> suspect perhaps a problem arised after I got accidentally blizted
> when I was visiting some sites the MPAA would be saddened about. I
> thought I nipped it in the butt, but perhaps not.
>
> Thanks for fast response, though.
>

>> Belgarath
>>
>> "bPstyles" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Every so often, I will lose the ability to resolve anything that
>>> needs to go through DNS. IN other words, I can connect to an ip,
>>> but not the name. LIkewise, p2p software and chat software works.
>>> I can ping the ip, but not the name.
>>>
>>> A reboot usually solves this. Rebooting the router does not as
>>> other machines have connectivity. I us XP Pro and this hasn't
>>> happened to me since the 95/98 days when I would reinstall TCP/IP
>>> and be done with it.
>>>
>>> Also, I can't even get to the router from this machine.
>>>
>>> What can I do? Thanks a lot.
>>>
>>> P.S. Running on cable with a Netgear 4-port wireless

Jim Berwick

"bPstyles" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Every so often, I will lose the ability to resolve anything that needs
> to go through DNS. IN other words, I can connect to an ip, but not
> the name. LIkewise, p2p software and chat software works. I can ping
> the ip, but not the name.

Check your system for spyware/adware.