Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Advice On Laptop Batteries

Advice On Laptop Batteries

John Barry

I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo). The
original had died after just over three years.

The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out the
wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect they also
gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge it up
for 16 hours to "activate" it.

After following this advice I tried booting up on battery power. Nothing!!
When I connected to the mains adaptor the Power Meter read "0% and charging"
and the battery eventually charged up. Could anybody shed light on this
strange behaviour? Any advice on battery management would also be welcome
because it's been a very expensive purchase.

Thanks in advance.

philo

"John Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cvsitl$fo3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo). The
> original had died after just over three years.
>
> The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out the
> wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect they

also
> gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge it

up
> for 16 hours to "activate" it.
>
> After following this advice I tried booting up on battery power.

Nothing!!
> When I connected to the mains adaptor the Power Meter read "0% and

charging"
> and the battery eventually charged up. Could anybody shed light on this
> strange behaviour? Any advice on battery management would also be welcome
> because it's been a very expensive purchase.
>
> Thanks in advance.

because the battery could have been sitting in a warehouse for a few
months...
it's typically advisable to charge it first before using it.
if you charged it for 16 hours as advised..then put it in your laptop and
found it to be dead...
the charger you used is clearly defective...
(unless you plugged it into a dead outlet)

WormWood

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cvsitl$fo3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo).
>> The
>> original had died after just over three years.
>>
>> The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out
>> the
>> wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect
>> they

> also
>> gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge
>> it

> up
>> for 16 hours to "activate" it.
>>
>> After following this advice I tried booting up on battery power.

> Nothing!!
>> When I connected to the mains adaptor the Power Meter read "0% and

> charging"
>> and the battery eventually charged up. Could anybody shed light on
>> this
>> strange behaviour? Any advice on battery management would also be
>> welcome
>> because it's been a very expensive purchase.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> because the battery could have been sitting in a warehouse for a few
> months...
> it's typically advisable to charge it first before using it.
> if you charged it for 16 hours as advised..then put it in your laptop
> and
> found it to be dead...
> the charger you used is clearly defective...
> (unless you plugged it into a dead outlet)

That's strange....plugging my laptop into an electrical outlet with
battery in the computer is the proper way to go to recharge.

philo

"WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "John Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cvsitl$fo3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo).
> >> The
> >> original had died after just over three years.
> >>
> >> The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out
> >> the
> >> wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect
> >> they

> > also
> >> gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge
> >> it

> > up
> >> for 16 hours to "activate" it.
> >>

> That's strange....plugging my laptop into an electrical outlet with
> battery in the computer is the proper way to go to recharge.

the OP might have been using some external charger...
the type which discharges the battery first to prevent it from developing a
memory